Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non-ethnocentric books?

3 posters

Go down

Non-ethnocentric books? Empty Non-ethnocentric books?

Post  TheSeekingDisciple Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 pm

What are some books out there on mythology that aren't ethnocentric? Honestly, I have been through so many Greek/Roman mythology books that stink of ethnocentrism. I have even read one that was like "This was a primitive era before real religion." I just want a book that lets the mythology speak for itself. Jay McPherson is pretty decent, but who else is good?
TheSeekingDisciple
TheSeekingDisciple

Back to top Go down

Non-ethnocentric books? Empty Re: Non-ethnocentric books?

Post  Erodius Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:22 pm

TheSeekingDisciple wrote:What are some books out there on mythology that aren't ethnocentric? Honestly, I have been through so many Greek/Roman mythology books that stink of ethnocentrism. I have even read one that was like "This was a primitive era before real religion." I just want a book that lets the mythology speak for itself. Jay McPherson is pretty decent, but who else is good?

I think you rather mean something like Christian-chauvinism than ethnocentrism, but yes, you will find this tone in perhaps the majority of works written about Classical religion, aside from some sympathetic scholars, and those works from Antiquity itself. 

The victors write history . . . 'vicisti, Galilaeë' 
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheSeekingDisciple Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:21 pm

That is true. It's kind of sad. It's also sad when the least chauvinistic book in the public library is by Robert Graves.
TheSeekingDisciple
TheSeekingDisciple

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:35 pm

TheSeekingDisciple wrote:That is true. It's kind of sad. It's also sad when the least chauvinistic book in the public library is by Robert Graves.
And that's because he's just paraphrasing Classical writers; when it comes to the notes, he's just as biassed, but towards his own odd ideas rather than to Christianity.

There does seem to be more of a problem with Classicists. Hornung, writing on Egyptian religion, said that it was "not invented, but experienced"; the only Classicist who wrote like that was Otto, and his colleagues assumed that meant he'd converted. What we need is more Hellenes in academia!

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 pm

What we need is more Hellenes in academia!

Speaking from the perspective of just such a person, I can second that.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheSeekingDisciple Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 pm

I definitely agree. It`s just beyond me how some of these people are unable to see a clear metaphor. They would never do this with Hinduism or even First Nations Spirituality. You think it would be common sense that if Hindus takes their myths as allegory maybe the Greeks did too.
TheSeekingDisciple
TheSeekingDisciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down