Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Belief Systems

4 posters

Go down

Belief Systems Empty Belief Systems

Post  AgathonZante Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:52 pm

In Hellenism, if I am correct, there is no set standard of belief for the most part, only a standard of practice. Therefore, beliefs can vary among Hellenists. So are we allowed to hold and promote our own interpretation of the myths and Gods?
AgathonZante
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Belief Systems Empty Re: Belief Systems

Post  Erodius Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:38 pm

AgathonZante wrote:In Hellenism, if I am correct, there is no set standard of belief for the most part, only a standard of practice. Therefore, beliefs can vary among Hellenists. So are we allowed to hold and promote our own interpretation of the myths and Gods?

Not exactly. There is not a single, universal standard of belief, but rather a variety of standards of belief, and closely related, though variant, standards of practice.

There is much complexity and variation, but it is not so simple as fabricating one's own ideas.

Acceptable beliefs, in the Classical understanding, as is the case in Hindu Āstika – 'orthodox traditions', are not necessarily even compatible with one another, but would be considered acceptable as a result of coming from a source of authority, whether a poet of divine myths, a religious figure or teacher, or a tradition whose authority is established by its age.

It is a very different understanding of orthodoxy/acceptable belief from that of Abrahamic religion.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AgathonZante Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:23 am

Well what I mean is can we possess our own interpretation of something? For example, Athene being born from the head of Zeus. Someone might say, She literally emerged from His skull. While I would say, She was born of the wise mind of the Father of the Gods.
AgathonZante
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:00 pm

AgathonZante wrote:Well what I mean is can we possess our own interpretation of something?

You can interpret the myths in any way you like. Whether you care about the interpretation's basis in fact, reason and/or tradition is another matter.

AgathonZante wrote:For example, Athene being born from the head of Zeus. Someone might say, She literally emerged from His skull. While I would say, She was born of the wise mind of the Father of the Gods.

Not far off the mark at all.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  De Li Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:36 pm

The 'head-birth' of Athena by Zeus signifies the emanation/manifestation of Divine Metis into the ontological levels of the Cosmos respectively our world by the Demiurgos (Zeus/Phanes).

Erodius, as per usual, answered the initial/principle question perfectly.
De Li
De Li

http://hearthofheid.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:24 pm

AgathonZante wrote:While I would say, She was born of the wise mind of the Father of the Gods.

That is certainly not a new understanding. Nearly all religious philosophers and theologians writing on that myth expressed that same explanation.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down