Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Hypothetical "Bible"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hypothetical "Bible"

Post  spokane89 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:22 pm

If someone were to compile a book of "sacred texts" to be bound together in one book for ease of reference , much like how the Christian Bible is put together, which Greek texts would you want included, which texts would be of best use and reach the most Olympianists? Personally, I would include Hesoid's theogeny, Homer's hymns, Sallustius' On the Gods and the Cosmos, and Aesop's Fables.
spokane89

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hypothetical "Bible"

Post  Thrasyvoulos on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 am

spokane89 wrote:If someone were to compile a book of "sacred texts" to be bound together in one book for ease of reference , much like how the Christian Bible is put together, which Greek texts would you want included, which texts would be of best use and reach the most Olympianists? Personally, I would include Hesoid's theogeny, Homer's hymns, Sallustius' On the Gods and the Cosmos, and Aesop's Fables.

Coming from a specific tradition, I would prefer the Orphic Rhapsodies (they'd have to be reconstructed further), the Orphic Argonautica, and the Orphic Lithica, and of course the Orphic Hymns, as the keystones, and the surrounding texts being the various myths which explain the backgrounds of the characters in the Argonautica as well as myths which can be interpreted to reflect concepts and ideals held in Orphism, of which there are many.

It would probably be a very big book.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 am

Including all relevant texts in one time certainly would result in quite a large book. Plus it varies regionally and in terms of tradition and cult  

These are some reasons, I would argue, illustrative of why religions like those of the Classical world or India, for instance, do not have a single gathering of all important texts. There are just too many, and it varies a great deal.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vadzhij on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm

For me, the closest thing to a Bible would be the Handbook or Manual of Epictetus. Hands down!

Vadzhij

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top