Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hypothetical "Bible"

4 posters

Go down

Hypothetical "Bible" Empty Hypothetical "Bible"

Post  spokane89 Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:22 pm

If someone were to compile a book of "sacred texts" to be bound together in one book for ease of reference , much like how the Christian Bible is put together, which Greek texts would you want included, which texts would be of best use and reach the most Olympianists? Personally, I would include Hesoid's theogeny, Homer's hymns, Sallustius' On the Gods and the Cosmos, and Aesop's Fables.
spokane89
spokane89

Back to top Go down

Hypothetical "Bible" Empty Re: Hypothetical "Bible"

Post  Thrasyvoulos Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 am

spokane89 wrote:If someone were to compile a book of "sacred texts" to be bound together in one book for ease of reference , much like how the Christian Bible is put together, which Greek texts would you want included, which texts would be of best use and reach the most Olympianists? Personally, I would include Hesoid's theogeny, Homer's hymns, Sallustius' On the Gods and the Cosmos, and Aesop's Fables.

Coming from a specific tradition, I would prefer the Orphic Rhapsodies (they'd have to be reconstructed further), the Orphic Argonautica, and the Orphic Lithica, and of course the Orphic Hymns, as the keystones, and the surrounding texts being the various myths which explain the backgrounds of the characters in the Argonautica as well as myths which can be interpreted to reflect concepts and ideals held in Orphism, of which there are many.

It would probably be a very big book.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 am

Including all relevant texts in one time certainly would result in quite a large book. Plus it varies regionally and in terms of tradition and cult  

These are some reasons, I would argue, illustrative of why religions like those of the Classical world or India, for instance, do not have a single gathering of all important texts. There are just too many, and it varies a great deal.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vadzhij Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm

For me, the closest thing to a Bible would be the Handbook or Manual of Epictetus. Hands down!

Vadzhij

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down