Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Delphinian Epsilon

2 posters

Go down

Delphinian Epsilon Empty Delphinian Epsilon

Post  spokane89 Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 am

I am trying to find some actual ancient greek source for this symbol and am completely at my wits end, I am finding it likely that it is a more modern symbol with a false history attached to it, but can not find evidence either way, anybody else know anything about it?
spokane89
spokane89

Back to top Go down

Delphinian Epsilon Empty Re: Delphinian Epsilon

Post  Erodius Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:48 pm

If my memory serves me right, the idea comes from a reference in, I believe, Pausanias, that describes a pair of epsilon-like symbols on a particular wall in the complex at Delphi. There is no clear description of what the symbols actually looked like, other than that they resembled the letter epsilon. Additionally, even in Pausanias' day, it had already long since been forgotten what the letters originally had stood for or symbolized, and there was much speculation.

The contemporary versions are entirely modern fabrications and imaginings, based on the above.

Hope that helps.  Wink 
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  spokane89 Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes thank you, had a strong suspicion it was largely a modern convention. Nice to know it is at least vaguely related to historical Greece in some manner.
spokane89
spokane89

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum