Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello

2 posters

Go down

Hello Empty Hello

Post  14clawsspe Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello to you all. I am new to the ways of religion period.  I grew up in an undecided house and the only religious influences came from my grandma and my aunt and uncle.  They are all of the christian type. My grandma being Jehovah's Witness, and My Aunt and Uncle being Mormon.  I had a slight wiccan faze, but wanted something more in depth.  I stumbled across a webpage about Hellenism and felt a kind of belonging. I hope to learn a lot from this forum.
    Also, are there any resources out there I could use to learn more about Hesiod Hellensistic teachings?

14clawsspe

Back to top Go down

Hello Empty Re: Hello

Post  Erodius Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:13 pm

14clawsspe wrote:Hello to you all. I am new to the ways of religion period.  I grew up in an undecided house and the only religious influences came from my grandma and my aunt and uncle.  They are all of the christian type. My grandma being Jehovah's Witness, and My Aunt and Uncle being Mormon.  I had a slight wiccan faze, but wanted something more in depth.  I stumbled across a webpage about Hellenism and felt a kind of belonging. I hope to learn a lot from this forum.
    Also, are there any resources out there I could use to learn more about Hesiod Hellensistic teachings?

Welcome to the forum — though you have already posted before.  Wink 

Also, I am a bit unclear; are you looking to learn more about Hesiod the person? Or his writings?

Little is known about Hesiod the person, other than that he was a farmer in the region of Boeotia during the Greek Dark Ages. There are two extant texts by Hesiod, the Theogony and the Works and Days — the first is an account of the creation of the universe and the genealogies of deities, and the second is a mixture of moral guidance, practical life-advice, a bit of mythology, and segments that read like a farmer's almanac. It doesn't follow a particular theme or plot, but jumps around all over the place, addressing all sorts of topics.

Hesiod's Theogony is probably the most widely recognized theogony (a theogony being a story of the origin of gods and the universe), but it is not the only one. There are also theogonies, differing from Hesiod's to varying degrees, in some segments of the Iliad, as well as Apollodorus' Bibliotheca and the first book of Ovid's Metamorphoses. I should also mention to you the Orphic theogony, which represents a different sort of religious current than Hesiod. The Orphic theogony does parallel Hesiod in many segments, but still differs in several significant ways. The creation stories in the first book of the Metamorphoses, although they are not identical with the Orphic theogony (they're much simpler and more condensed), show some clear influences from Orphism (probably as a result of a combination of Orphaic ideas' being fairly widespread in popular religion during the high Empire, and the fact that, even among non-Orphics, Orpheus was revered as a sort of tutelary saint of poets and poetry, and so incorporating ideas associated with Orpheus would have appealed to Ovid as a sort of validation for his own poetry.

Is there anything in particular with which I could help you?
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum