Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

About an offering to Athena

View previous topic View next topic Go down

About an offering to Athena

Post  14clawsspe on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Would it be appropriate to offer Athena a drawing or painting I have made?

14clawsspe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: About an offering to Athena

Post  Erodius on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Do you mean offer, or dedicate?

An offering is something given up to God, whereas a dedication is something like a tribute of respect. Fine sculptures and other architectural works would be dedicated to certain deities and installed in the sanctuaries.

Small votive statues (usually of lightly-fired terracotta, but occasionally of bronze for those wealthy enough to afford them), as well as votive plaques and symbolic tokens called tamata, however, were also common as offerings, their level of artistry usually (though not always) being relatively simple, because they were not meant to be enjoyed as decorations, but instead, offered up to the deity.

Temples of Asclepius were particularly known for people commonly offering votive statues and tokens, and frequented temples would fill up with them rather quickly. When this happened, they would be gathered up, usually smashed or crushed, and then buried nearby, often within the temple grounds, because they had been offered to the deity, and no longer belonged to mortals.

If you want to offer your painting, that is acceptable, but you need to be aware that, if you do so, it no longer belongs to you. It is not a decoration, and you also have no right to take it back.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top