Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Did the Romans invent Christ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Did the Romans invent Christ

Post  Linda on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Brittish scholar lays claim - the Romans invented Christ. This article is a bit of a stub and does not give any real evidence, and the web site is a bit shallow as well, and even if it reeks Dan Brown and conspiration theorism to me, someone might think it an interesting read and may have some arguments to add. So here we go!

http://www.examiner.com/article/we-invented-jesus-christ-ancient-confession-from-roman-aristocrats-found?cid=taboola_inbound
http://www.caesarsmessiah.com/
Linda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Did the Romans invent Christ

Post  J_Agathokles on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:16 am

I'm not buying it. I think he's an amalgam of various such messiahs running around the southern Levant in those days. One "invented" by natives.

J_Agathokles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 am

I heard about this so-called scholar. Just trying to make a sensationalist name for himself I think.

Regardless of whether the Jesus of traditional lore is a single figure or an amalgam of several, I think it is fairly obvious, even to a casual observer, that he was not a creation of the Roman Imperial government. The parallels in his journey through Iudaea are, I think, just coincidental, and reflective of the simple reality that there are just not very many paths to be taken on a journey southward from Galilee to Jerusalem. Iudaea is a small country.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Out of Phlegethon on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:30 am

Yeah, I've heard of all this before. Unconvincing arguments. Too easy, in the end. One can almost always benefit by becoming accustomed to disappointment and disenchantment in the grand historical view of things...
Out of Phlegethon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top