Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discovery of Plutos Gate

4 posters

Go down

Discovery of Plutos Gate Empty Discovery of Plutos Gate

Post  Callisto Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:04 pm

Discovery of Plutos Gate Pluton10
A digital recreation of the Ploutonion, or Plutos Gate, of ancient Greek and Roman mythology
recently discovered in Turkey. Picture: Francesco D'Andria.

Can you imagine what this must have been like?!

Archaeologists have located a Ploutonion in the Hellenistic city of Hierapolis in Turkey. The Ploutonion or Pluto's Gate is an opening in the earth believed to be an entryway to the Underworld - like the one through which Hades took Persephone, or the one Orpheus used to find Eurydice.

"This space is full of a vapor so misty and dense that one can scarcely see the ground. Any animal that passes inside meets instant death. I threw in sparrows and they immediately breathed their last and fell," wrote the Greek geographer Strabo.

The scientists discovered it by retracing an ancient thermal spring and found the opening still releases (potentially) lethal emissions of carbon dioxide, evidenced by the deaths of sparrows attracted to the warmth coming from the opening. They also excavated the remnants of a thermal pool, courtyard and a circular temple and columns with inscriptions dedicated to Pluto and Kore. Pilgrims would have gathered on the steps of the temple while priests stood at the portal and sacrificed bulls to Hades, with both pilgrims and priests alike experiencing visions and prophecies from the hallucinogenic effects of the fumes.

An article and very cool gallery of excavation pics (check out the statue of Hades):

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/gate-to-hell-found-in-turkey-130329.htm
Callisto
Callisto
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

Back to top Go down

Discovery of Plutos Gate Empty Re: Discovery of Plutos Gate

Post  Achrelus Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm

It is amazing some of the things that they find now that were believed to be mythological places in the past Razz
Achrelus
Achrelus
Admin
Admin

https://olympianismos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saesara Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 am

Beautiful picture! Thank you for sharing. Smile
Saesara
Saesara

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiritofApollo Sat May 04, 2013 1:44 am

Saesara wrote:Beautiful picture! Thank you for sharing. Smile

I agree. My mother actually believes that it's the gateway to hell. I'm laughing my head off thinking about it. My mother really needs to read a book.
SpiritofApollo
SpiritofApollo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down