Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Community

5 posters

Go down

Community Empty Community

Post  Human Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Okay I know what I'm about to say is going to be controversial and even impractical to some extent but please bare with me. I think the Hellenic community is going to have to organize and relocate ourselves somewhere in the US for us Americans so we can build a real life community that could possibly lead to a small temple because realistically speaking we are to few and too spread out to really do anything religiously that isn't solitary at this point. So any thoughts?

Human

Back to top Go down

Community Empty Re: Community

Post  Nikoletta Wed May 27, 2015 11:12 am

I personally would agree in part. I agree we need to know who is where so that more people can have a sense of community outside of their computer screens. I also agree that in order to raise people's awareness of this Religion as a true Religion that we will have to band together. However I do not agree that we should relocate. I only disagree here because many people are prosperous in their lives and or set in their ways and may become turned off by the notion that we want them to move to be apart of this community thereby leaving them on their own anyway.If we could determine where the greatest number of worshipers are located then we could convene on that state when there is a large holiday coming up so then those of us who live in other states could just take vacation if we wish to participate in the festivities. The idea itself is great; I myself would love to have a place in the US where there is a large or even a small temple to bring our community together in a more traditional sense. I am wondering what others may think of this idea and if they would know of a way to reach out to Hellenists across the US to even figure out where they live. Or if people would even be interested in helping with fundraising for this temple project.

Nikoletta

Back to top Go down

Post  Athena'sWisdom Wed May 27, 2015 1:40 pm

I would love the idea of a proper Hellenic community, filled with Temples to the God's and a real community spirit outside of the Internet. I do think that it would help the religion unify and it would make peoples journey into the intricacies of the faith much easier. However I do also see how impractical and hard it would be to achieve. Furthermore there are only a small number of us and everyone is so far from each other that it will probably never occur. I do like it as an idea in theory though Very Happy If a 'community' isn't a possibility, a temple is a must though. At some point I feel that a fixed temple is necessary for the religion to flourish. Even if it was only a small one to begin with it would serve as a base from which people can meet and get to know each other, as well as being a place of worship Very Happy I'm sure a lot of people would get involved in the financing and design of such a building Smile On a related note does anyone know if the Temple in Thessaloniki is still in existence?

Athena'sWisdom

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Sun May 31, 2015 7:31 pm

A nice daydream, perhaps, but not really feasible, nor, I think, advisable.

The expenses involved would be astronomical – in the range of millions of dollars at least. Then there is the issue of trying to convince a widely scattered selection of people to uproot their lives and relocate for a purpose that, I would argue, does not truly match up to the financial and energy expenses of the move.

It is, perhaps, pleasant to have a group of people together for a sacrifice – but it is by no means essential. A temple is not a venue for group worship; it is not a 'church'.

Historically, religious confraternities or 'θίασοι' would develop locally, and would gather often in members' own residences and homes.

Eventually, sufficiently many like-minded individuals will live in enough proximity to one another to allow this to happen, but I think it ought not be rushed. It has to happen organically. A mass-exodus is bound for failure for a variety of reasons, and, furthermore, does not exactly project an image of a respectable group – it looks a little weird and a bit scary from an outside perspective.

I think such a thing must grow from the roots up, not simply be externally 'planted.'

Those are my two cents.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:02 am

I agree with Erodius. Things which are rushed tend to be half done and fall apart sooner. A community that grows organically will be strongest and healthiest.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down