Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classical Texts in Modern Lang

5 posters

Go down

Classical Texts in Modern Lang Empty Classical Texts in Modern Lang

Post  spokane89 Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:43 am

...Language. Apparently there is a limit on titles. Anyway, does anyone know of a source for classical Greek texts in modern English? It's not that I have a hard time with early 1900's English it's just that I rather hypocritically don't enjoy it in my reading material. (Hypocritically in that I use archaic vernacular in text messages and chat rooms to bother people I'm not entirely fond of.) geek
spokane89
spokane89

Back to top Go down

Classical Texts in Modern Lang Empty Re: Classical Texts in Modern Lang

Post  Achrelus Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:53 am

Reobert Fagles does a good translation of Homer and Virgil and I believe Sophocles. He did it iin an old style way but with language from 1990's. I haven't noticed any classical philosophy is old english, but I have so many different translators for them I couldn't begin to list Razz
Achrelus
Achrelus
Admin
Admin

https://olympianismos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:57 am

spokane89 wrote:...Language. Apparently there is a limit on titles. Anyway, does anyone know of a source for classical Greek texts in modern English? It's not that I have a hard time with early 1900's English it's just that I rather hypocritically don't enjoy it in my reading material. (Hypocritically in that I use archaic vernacular in text messages and chat rooms to bother people I'm not entirely fond of.) geek

There just aren't many English translations available of texts other than the very popular ones. There just aren't many scholars of Classics anymore, and those that remain usually have 'better' things to do than re-translate texts that have already been translated.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Achrelus Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:15 am

Perhapse someday when I have studied and learned Ancient Greek and Latin I will do that Razz
Achrelus
Achrelus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Classical Texts in Modern Lang Empty Loeb Classical Library

Post  J_Agathokles Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 am

You can start collecting the Loeb Classical Library. It's a collection of ancient texts, published by Harvard University Press, which has the original Hellenic or Latin text on one page, and the English translation and limited footnotes (usually) on the opposite page, so you have the two side by side. Here's a link to the homepage: Loeb Classical Library (homepage). They are currently going through a translation update, I think two Hellenic and two Latin Loeb's a year or so. I myself own several already, and most have been published after the year 2000. I think everyone ought to at least have the one with Hesiod's "Works and Days" and "Theogony", and the one with the Homeric Hymns. I also have some with plays, lyric poetry (with Sapphō's surviving work), and such.

J_Agathokles

Back to top Go down

Post  Lisa Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Not to be a butt...but Literature is spelled incoorectly for the Subforum. Just thought I should bring it up so we can get it straightened out. Smile

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Achrelus Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks Lisa, I am by no means a good speller so help me with that as much as you see fit Razz
Achrelus
Achrelus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down