Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living Theurgy: a book

2 posters

Go down

Living Theurgy: a book Empty Living Theurgy: a book

Post  TheSeekingDisciple Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:11 pm

I have recently received a book in the mail called "Living Theurgy." It's written by Jeffrey S. Kupperman and seems to focus primarily on Iamblichus' tradition. I am wondering if anyone has read it and if it is any good. It's really interesting. He mentions philosophia, theologia and theurgia as the three most important parts of theurgy.
TheSeekingDisciple
TheSeekingDisciple

Back to top Go down

Living Theurgy: a book Empty Re: Living Theurgy: a book

Post  Erodius Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 pm

TheSeekingDisciple wrote:I have recently received a book in the mail called "Living Theurgy." It's written by Jeffrey S. Kupperman and seems to focus primarily on Iamblichus' tradition. I am wondering if anyone has read it and if it is any good. It's really interesting. He mentions philosophia, theologia and theurgia as the three most important parts of theurgy.

The Divine Iamblichus is a saint of Neoplatonism; his De Mysteriis is an essential if you're interested in learning about the Neoplatonic current of Orphism – although it is an elevated text, and not exactly most suited for 'light reading' so to speak.  

I haven't read or heard of that particular book, but as far as general/survey-type introductions to 'liturgical Neoplatonism' as might be a good term, I would definitely recommend Theurgy and the Soul: the Neoplatonism of Iamblichus by Gregory Shaw most of all. It is very readable. 

It may be more difficult to find in hard copy – but I have an e-book of it I'd be happy to share with you.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TheSeekingDisciple Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:11 pm

Erodius wrote:
TheSeekingDisciple wrote:I have recently received a book in the mail called "Living Theurgy." It's written by Jeffrey S. Kupperman and seems to focus primarily on Iamblichus' tradition. I am wondering if anyone has read it and if it is any good. It's really interesting. He mentions philosophia, theologia and theurgia as the three most important parts of theurgy.

The Divine Iamblichus is a saint of Neoplatonism; his De Mysteriis is an essential if you're interested in learning about the Neoplatonic current of Orphism – although it is an elevated text, and not exactly most suited for 'light reading' so to speak.  

I haven't read or heard of that particular book, but as far as general/survey-type introductions to 'liturgical Neoplatonism' as might be a good term, I would definitely recommend Theurgy and the Soul: the Neoplatonism of Iamblichus by Gregory Shaw most of all. It is very readable. 

It may be more difficult to find in hard copy – but I have an e-book of it I'd be happy to share with you.

Awesome. I would love to read a copy of it, pdf or hard. I just have a general interest in the "Western Mystery tradition." At this point in time, I think I am looking for a "Western Dharma" of sort. I find that the religions within the whole of Olympianismos fit the description of "Western Dharma."
TheSeekingDisciple
TheSeekingDisciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down