Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hermes and Languages

2 posters

Go down

Hermes and Languages  Empty Hermes and Languages

Post  spokane89 Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:58 am

I was having a conversation on mythic origins of languages and came across our own which oddly, I had never really read before, which follows as such (as far as I read in the few places I found it) that Zeus once was ruling as king on earth, and all men lived in one nation with one tongue, but then Hermes caused men to have different languages which caused them to begin drifting apart into new cities and nations and Zeus gave up his earthly throne to Phoroneus, and reign instead from the heavens. Which was interesting in and of itself, but, of the few places I found it the sources of this myth were simply from other texts, which I intend to read, but I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of the [i]greek[/i origin of this story. I'll keep searching for a while but hoping someone can point me in the right direction, just in case.
spokane89
spokane89

Back to top Go down

Hermes and Languages  Empty Re: Hermes and Languages

Post  Erodius Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:08 am

The famous Greek Babel story — it's from Hyginus' Fables, an imperial era mythography compiled in Latin by Hyginus, a Roman librarian.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  spokane89 Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Many thanks! I managed to find a pdf copy of the book that was listed as a source, The Greeks and their Gods, but said book didnt list a source for the myth at all, quite the disappointment.
spokane89
spokane89

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down