Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nature of the Agathos Daemon?

2 posters

Go down

Nature of the Agathos Daemon? Empty Nature of the Agathos Daemon?

Post  Thrasyvoulos Tue May 28, 2013 11:42 pm

I was thinking about this and it made me wonder: what is the nature of the Agathos Daemon?

What I mean by this is: the Agathos Daemon is the presiding guardian of a household. But is it entirely separate from a person's Genethlios Daemon (birthright daemon, akin to the guardian angels of Christianity), or is the Agathos Daemon simply the Genethlios Daemon of the head of the household? Is there any overlap, or are the two entirely distinct?

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Nature of the Agathos Daemon? Empty Re: Nature of the Agathos Daemon?

Post  Erodius Wed May 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Icarus wrote:I was thinking about this and it made me wonder: what is the nature of the Agathos Daemon?

What I mean by this is: the Agathos Daemon is the presiding guardian of a household. But is it entirely separate from a person's Genethlios Daemon (birthright daemon, akin to the guardian angels of Christianity), or is the Agathos Daemon simply the Genethlios Daemon of the head of the household? Is there any overlap, or are the two entirely distinct?

The two are separate, at least essentially.

The Agathodaemon emanates from Iupiter/Zefs, or from Iupiter/Zefs via Apollo — and, from this, coming the idea of the Agathodaemon as the consort of Fortune (Τύχη), who is, in Orphism, a stasis of Diana/Artemis.

The Personal Daemon is the Soul, or Genius; not quite what would be called a 'guardian angel.' However, in the Iamblichean philosophical reckoning, every soul, just as any other god, has its natural syzygy/consort. Likewise, there is an idea of something like an anti-Soul, which is created by a Soul through all actions, ideas and things that it rejects over the course of its individual being. These anti-Souls, or cacodaemones, are often referenced as being the greatest obstacles that any Soul faces in its progression toward final reconciliation.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down