Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Statue of Artemis

3 posters

Go down

New Statue of Artemis Empty New Statue of Artemis

Post  AgathonZante Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Does this statue do Artemis justice in your view?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AgathonZante
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

New Statue of Artemis Empty Re: New Statue of Artemis

Post  Iwan-Durak Wed May 17, 2017 4:27 am

Hello AgathonZante,

I do like the little dog and also the lovely face of "Artemis", the slender moving is quite fitting, but I absolutely do not like that the breasts are shown. It makes the statue more a hunting Aphrodite whom Aineias met at the shore of Carthago. So if the breasts would be more covered, than I could believe she is a Diana/Artemis, but this way she looks more like Aphrodite/Venus or a wood nymph or an Amazon warrior woman to me.

Greetings,
Iwan-Durak

Iwan-Durak

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Sun May 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Iwan-Durak wrote:Hello AgathonZante,

I do like the little dog and also the lovely face of "Artemis", the slender moving is quite fitting, but I absolutely do not like that the breasts are shown. It makes the statue more a hunting Aphrodite whom Aineias met at the shore of Carthago. So if the breasts would be more covered, than I could believe she is a Diana/Artemis, but this way she looks more like Aphrodite/Venus or a wood nymph or an Amazon warrior woman to me.

Greetings,
Iwan-Durak

I think it is a lovely statue – although Iwan-Durak is correct in some sense, one also should keep in mind that the sculpture is probably 18th/19th century in inspiration/style, so the artist was probably more interested in depicting natural human form than with proper depiction of the goddess.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AgathonZante Sun May 21, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't think that being naked or exposed has to be sexual in nature. There are ancient depictions of Artemis with many breasts exposed.
AgathonZante
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iwan-Durak Thu May 25, 2017 6:31 am

You talking about the Ephesian Xoanon ? I thpught it was not sure what the "breasts" are?

I did not want to insult you. I do think that this statue is very beautifull, she has a lovely face and the little dog reminds me of my own dogs in the past.

The following might sound to spiritual or romantical, but for me, the Goddess Ἄρτεμις / Diana incorporates that virgin status of a own daughter or sister or even a mother (through a mother cannot be a virgin, but your own mother will never be an object of lust to you (and if she does, then you should worry about you)). So for that reason I think the climps of Diana's breasts in this statue are just a little inappropriate.

Nudity is indeed not always a sign of sexuality. Nymphs, (water) nymphs in particular, can often be showed nude, even if they are virgins, but their nudity has another meaning for me: they are creatures of natures, their nudity is more a sign of innocence to me instead of lust. ... Writing this, I think this could also be true for Goddess Diana / Ἄρτεμις.

Well, long story short: because of the myth of Actaeon I just do feel some "holy fear" to see Goddess Ἄρτεμις / Diana naked... I'm afraid I'm a highly superstitional fellow...

Kindest regards,
Iwan-Durak

Iwan-Durak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down