Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plato's Ideal State

3 posters

Go down

Plato's Ideal State Empty Plato's Ideal State

Post  Theodoros Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:58 am

I'm quite curious of your opinions on Plato's Ideal State. Do you agree with it? Do you think its plausible or is the world not virtuous enough?
Theodoros
Theodoros

Back to top Go down

Plato's Ideal State Empty Re: Plato's Ideal State

Post  Thrasyvoulos Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Theodoros wrote:I'm quite curious of your opinions on Plato's Ideal State. Do you agree with it? Do you think its plausible or is the world not virtuous enough?

I am inclined to view his concept of the ideal state to be, first and foremost, a metaphor for the ideal state of the soul, the three ranks of people being analogous to the parts of the tripartite soul.

In the arena of politics, it would, in my view, likewise be a perfect model for government, because when an individual is harmonized with themselves, they naturally and freely attempt to be in harmony with those around them. If most people in a government set up like this were to achieve this, then the government on the whole would function superbly. That said, most people aren't like that. Far from it.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Which one? The Republic is an exploration of the virtues using the design of a state as as thought experiment. The Laws sets out a constitution for a possible Greek state, but that obviously requires Ancient Greeks to implement it.

Nevertheless, I think Plato's ideas are a valid criticism of democracy. They are also close to those of Confucius, and I believe he would have approved of China in its best periods. If the Chinese can recover from the infatuation with Western ideas that characterised both Sun Yat-sen and Mao Zedong, they may yet set us a good example.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum