Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abortion

5 posters

Go down

Abortion Empty Abortion

Post  AgathonZante Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:19 am

What're your views on abortion? I am pro-life all the way. I don't believe in abortion. My religion also plays into my personal views on the matter because I don't feel that the Gods would condone it. Not to mention the legendary Hippocratic Oath which plainly states to not give a woman an abortion. Even if my religion and culture did not play a role, I would still be pro-life because a life is a life, a baby is a baby.
AgathonZante
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Abortion Empty Re: Abortion

Post  xxChella21xx Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:59 am

I Personally believe that though a life is a life, you cannot see it as such unless it has already started living.
babies are babies, but some people (from personal experiences) should Never have children.
I'm not even being condescending. I mean this Very literal. Some people don't have the means to give their child a good life, and some don't even Care too. So I ask, is it fair that an innocent soul such as a babe should be put through a life they could've been spared from?
Let's be honest. the world isn't perfect. Neither is the system (And that Includes people.) Yes, there is adoption, but some, like myself, would rather die than to give a child away because they weren't ready.
I see it, not as a criminal act, but an act of compassion.
Instead of putting your child through a shit ton of problems while it lives,
It can be sent back among the stars to live in peace with the gods until the time comes for it's life to truly begin. A temporary sacrifice for the better future, instead of a crap life.
I'm not saying that Every abortion is justified.
You know, If your a hooker who just happened to get pregnant on the job, and doesn't even know who the father is, or a teenage girl who just happened to have too much fun at a party one night, then it's not like you were ready to be a Mom anyhow.
I'm saying that if it's for the right reasons then there should be no shame to it.
I suppose my final thought on this, is that all in all, I'm pro choice.
If you want it, and feel you are stable enough to handle it, then by all means, Congratulations.
But if you're someone not completely sure on it and barely skimming by on a $7.95 a week salary with a guy you can already predict to be a dead beat.
Then it might be for the best.
xxChella21xx
xxChella21xx

Back to top Go down

Post  AgathonZante Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:46 pm

But the life already has started living. The baby's heart starts beating before its mother even knows she is pregnant. And if you can't afford your child, there's a very simple solution, either use birth control or give the child up for adoption. There's no such thing as an unwanted child.
AgathonZante
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:48 am

This is an extremely complicated and nuanced issue, and my opinion on it changes depending on circumstances. While I believe all life to be sacred (including plant life and even mosquitoes), I cannot hope to know whether abortion in any instance is right or wrong without knowing the full extent of the circumstances, and so I withhold making a judgment on the matter except for case-by-case basis. Act when you know.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:57 pm

AgathonZante wrote:the legendary Hippocratic Oath which plainly states to not give a woman an abortion.
It is true that ancient Hellenism generally opposed abortion. The closest so-called major religion to Hellenism would be Hinduism, which also condemns it. But if the mother's life is in danger, that's surely a different question. An actual human must take precedence over a potential one, as it were.

Of course, it also depends on your view of ensoulment. The Pythagoreans are said to have believed that the soul is present from conception, but Aristotle definitely said that quickening was the sign that a rational soul was present. That view is, I believe, also present in Hinduism. Some have considered a fetus to be a person, as distinct from an embryo, but that's an impossible line to draw.

Personally, I'd permit abortion to save the life of the mother, or before quickening.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

Back to top Go down

Post  J_Agathokles Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:22 am

"It is true that ancient Hellenism generally opposed abortion. The closest so-called major religion to Hellenism would be Hinduism, which also condemns it. But if the mother's life is in danger, that's surely a different question. An actual human must take precedence over a potential one, as it were."

Abortion is really a non-issue for our religion. It depends on societal and cultural attitudes, and for you personal your own thoughts on the matter.

J_Agathokles

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:22 pm

J_Agathokles wrote:Abortion is really a non-issue for our religion. It depends on societal and cultural attitudes, and for you personal your own thoughts on the matter.

Depends on the particular strain of Hellenic religion you speak of. One can easily find grounds for viewing most cases of abortion in a negative light in Orphism, if one do chooses, for instance.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down