Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Functioning Modern Temples

3 posters

Go down

Functioning Modern Temples Empty Functioning Modern Temples

Post  CWD202 Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:20 pm

I just read the thread about temple construction and a question popped into my head, are there any modern-day temples dedicated to the Gods that are in use? I know that it is unlikely, but at the same time it is possible. I'm doing some research and if anyone knew of any that have been constructed, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share any information that you had. Thanks!  Smile
CWD202
CWD202

Back to top Go down

Functioning Modern Temples Empty Re: Functioning Modern Temples

Post  Erodius Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 pm

CWD202 wrote:I just read the thread about temple construction and a question popped into my head, are there any modern-day temples dedicated to the Gods that are in use? I know that it is unlikely, but at the same time it is possible. I'm doing some research and if anyone knew of any that have been constructed, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share any information that you had. Thanks!  Smile

There is, I believe, a quasi-functioning temple outside of Thessalonica, and there are a small handful of essentially private/sodality-specific shrines elsewhere in Greece – none genuinely public, for a variety of reasons. 

However, there is really no fundamental difference between a municipal temple and a proper domestic shrine other than size and access. Private temples existed in Antiquity, and, given that it is rightly constructed and properly maintained, a domestic shrine is quite literally a temple in miniature.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Here we are!
http://prometheia.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/naos/
It's not the Parthenon, but at least it's a start.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down