Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hellenism vs Olympianism

+3
Nikoletta
Nikitas
Achrelus
7 posters

Go down

Hellenism vs Olympianism Empty Hellenism vs Olympianism

Post  Achrelus Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:22 am

This post is mostly for future newcomers, but if I mess up feel free to comment anyway. Olympianism, the term I chose to name the site after, encompasses various religions. Greek, Roman, Etruscan, they all fall under Olympianism. Hellenism is a branch off Olympianism, that is the branch that encompasses all Hellenic (Greek) practices. Within Hellenism there are various sects. Demotic (general) Hellenism, Orphism/Pythagoreanism, Platonism/Neoplatonism, and a few others I am less familiar with. These are all Hellenismos, but each has it's own religious and philosophical views and so are in there own ways seperate religions. This is only my understanding, others will likely be more informed than I, and probably will have already corrected me by the time you newcomers are reading this.
Achrelus
Achrelus
Admin
Admin

https://olympianismos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Hellenism vs Olympianism Empty Re: Hellenism vs Olympianism

Post  Nikitas Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Thank you for that introduction. It was very easy to understand. I am excited to see it expounded upon. For instance, explanations of what is meant by Orphic, Etruscan, and Neoplatonism. Keep this good information coming. I'm so excited about this new forum!

Nikitas

Back to top Go down

Post  Achrelus Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:41 pm

We are likewise excited to have you here and more than glad to explain further. Orphism is a mystery religion that follows the teaching of Orpheus, who was an ancient greek religious reformer among other things. Etruscans were a culture/civilization in the north of Italy, and introduced a lot of the Greek myths and Greco-Etruscan religion to the Romans, whom they controled for some time. There is a brief section here on Neoplatonism and Orphism both under Philosophies. Enjoy yourstay here, and Gods be with you!
Achrelus
Achrelus
Admin
Admin

https://olympianismos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikitas Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Gods be with you too. Thank you for helping me out, and thank you for referring me to the Philosophies section.

Nikitas

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikoletta Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:59 pm

Okay so I am only slightly confused. Is one of the names an umbrella for the other and other things or are they completely separate things? If they are different things can you please describe the specific facets of both that set them apart?

Nikoletta

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:26 am

'Hellenism' refers to all aspects of Greek culture. It just means 'Greekness', and doesn't necessarily have anything at all to do with religion. 'Olympianism' is an old word that refers specifically to 'the religion of the worship of the Gods of Olympus, as in Ancient Greece and Rome.'
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Valencia2014 Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:43 pm

Erodius wrote:'Hellenism' refers to all aspects of Greek culture. It just means 'Greekness', and doesn't necessarily have anything at all to do with religion. 'Olympianism' is an old word that refers specifically to 'the religion of the worship of the Gods of Olympus, as in Ancient Greece and Rome.'

I second that.
Valencia2014
Valencia2014

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:42 am

I would like to take a moment to explain lucidly the difference between a Hellenist and a Dodekatheist. The two are not equatable. I have unfortunately discovered that many here are ignorant of that.

• Hellenist: A person who lived during the Hellenistic Era who acted Hellenic in character through language acquisition, acculturation and κοσμοθεωρία.
  • Dodekatheist: A person who vowed to observe the traditional ritual Θρησκεία and worship the Pantheon accordingly, and to revere the ancestry and give them due respect and veneration.

We are the latter.

Αγαμέμνων

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Αγαμέμνων wrote:I would like to take a moment to explain lucidly the difference between a Hellenist and a Dodekatheist. The two are not equatable. I have unfortunately discovered that many here are ignorant of that.
I'm not ignorant: I just use a different terminology to you. The term Dodekatheist is, of course, a modern invention and would have made little sense in antiquity. Where would that definition have left Aegina where the principal God was Aphaia, or Sicily where the cult of Kore predominated? Let's not get lost in quibbling over what we call ourselves!

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm not ignorant: I just use a different terminology to you.

Well, the terminology you use is incorrect. The sole reason we cannot identify as 'Έλληνες' is because that name is advantageously exploited by the state. Our identity is of the utmost importance, David McCain. We should protect our heritage, not relegate it. It ιs exceedingly offensive to watch people invent whatever term they want to describe an ancient thing, especially when there is a perfectly valid word for it.

The term Dodekatheist is, of course, a modern invention and would have made little sense in antiquity. Where would that definition have left  where the principal God was Aphaia, or Sicily where the cult of Kore predominated?

δωδεκαθειμός is defined specifically to include any practice of Hellenic religion, and the Classical and Hellenistic Μυστήρια are a fundamental aspect of that inclusion. Wherever the Pantheon may be worshiped is irrelevant to the definition. If geographical location where a factor, then people who payed adoration outside the Holy Land would be marginalized. Also, Aegina is Greek territory.

Αγαμέμνων

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down