Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do we call ourselves?

+8
De Li
Valencia2014
DavidMcCann
Vadzhij
Megara
Erodius
spokane89
Theodoros
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What do we call ourselves? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do we call ourselves?

Post  Human Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:57 pm

I agree, we must pass on our tradition. Perhaps any sort of official name isn't needed. Just Hellene.

Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:28 am

Human wrote:I agree, we must pass on our tradition. Perhaps any sort of official name isn't needed. Just Hellene.

Absolutely, now you understand. The next task ahead for you is to go elsewhere and correct the misconception our people and teach the correct interpretation. Another important thing is that you learn the Holy Language and take a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, too.

Τώρα είστε έτοιμοι.

Αγαμέμνων

Back to top Go down

Post  Human Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm learning modern Greek, you're not referring to Ancient Greek I trust?

Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:46 am

No, learning Ancient Greek is unnecessary.

Αγαμέμνων

Back to top Go down

Post  Human Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:53 am

I can spell and say quite a few words but there are a lot of things I still can't say. But I can read it and pronounce words however I don't know what they mean. I know you're name is Agamemnon and I know who that is but there is still a lot I need to learn.

Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:57 am

Human wrote:I can spell and say quite a few words but there are a lot of things I still can't say. But I can read it and pronounce words however I don't know what they mean. I know you're name is Agamemnon and I know who that is but there is still a lot I need to learn.

Learn at your own pace; piecemeal if it enables you to learn efficiently. Tell me, are there any plans to erect a Temple in your area?

Αγαμέμνων

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Human wrote:I'm learning modern Greek, you're not referring to Ancient Greek I trust?

Αγαμέμνων wrote:No, learning Ancient Greek is unnecessary.

It depends heavily on your purpose of study.

It is quite necessary to learn Ancient Greek if you wish to read Classical texts. It is quite necessary to learn Modern/Demotic Greek if you wish to communicate with people from modern Greece.

Knowing Modern Greek would be immensely helpful in understanding an Ancient Greek text, but it is different enough that Modern Greek speakers usually require either a translation or a heavy glossary to understand something written in Ancient Greek. Likewise, while knowing Ancient Greek would be immensely helpful in understanding Modern Greek, most modern Greeks can neither speak nor understand Ancient Greek very well.

It is comparable to Spanish versus Latin. A Spanish speaker can make good sense out of most basic Latin text, and knowing Latin makes learning Spanish a breeze, but I cannot speak Latin to a Spanish speaker and expect to be understood, at least not much.

For an English example, try listening to or reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in the original Middle English and try to make sense of it. That, I would say linguistically, represents a similar lexical gap as between Ancient and Modern Greek.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Human Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:01 pm

I am learning modern Greek so that I can speak with modern Greeks and so that I can more easily learn ancient Greek. I know Spanish and I know what you mean by the similarities with Latin and how it can be hard to understand though I can get the gist of what certain things mean every once in a while. I imagine Ancient Greek would be a lot harder because from what I know of it they had a very large vocabulary but it can never hurt to learn another language could it? Also there is a free website similar to Khan academy that you can use to learn both modern and ancient Greek for free. Is it okay if I post a link?

Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Human Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Αγαμέμνων wrote:
Human wrote:I can spell and say quite a few words but there are a lot of things I still can't say. But I can read it and pronounce words however I don't know what they mean. I know you're name is Agamemnon and I know who that is but there is still a lot I need to learn.

Learn at your own pace; piecemeal if it enables you to learn efficiently. Tell me, are there any plans to erect a Temple in your area?

There are no such plans that I am aware of in the entire country much less my area but if I ever win the lottery Wink

Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Dimitrios65 Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Αγαμέμνων wrote: You are a Greek. You have made that covenant, remember? You are no longer a Dutchman or German: you are Greek now. You have a new people, a new culture, a new language, a new history, etc. You now represent Greece.

You must teach your children their heritage, help your neighbors to comprehend your transition, etc. Everyone here is a Greek indistinguishable from the general population.  You are ethnically Greek!

I must say, Αγαμέμνων, you have perfectly expressed how I feel!
Dimitrios65
Dimitrios65

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:03 pm

Erodius wrote:It is quite necessary to learn Ancient Greek if you wish to read Classical texts. It is quite necessary to learn Modern/Demotic Greek if you wish to communicate with people from modern Greece.

Human and I were discussing about him learning Modern Greek with the point of conversing with our people, Ερωδιός. Also, Modern Standard Greek is not identical to Demotic Greek but the two are mutually intelligible somewhat, and the recent switch from polytonic to monotonic grammar aided that markedly.

Dimitrios65 wrote:I must say, Αγαμέμνων, you have perfectly expressed how I feel!

Very Happy

Αγαμέμνων

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2