Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eris/Discordia

3 posters

Go down

Eris/Discordia Empty Eris/Discordia

Post  Favonius Zephyrus Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:33 am

Whats everyones view on Eris/Discordia? Do you worship Her? I find her to be an interesting Deity and am curious how others feel about Her.

Favonius Zephyrus

Back to top Go down

Eris/Discordia Empty Re: Eris/Discordia

Post  Erodius Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:29 am

Favonius Zephyrus wrote:Whats everyones view on Eris/Discordia? Do you worship Her? I find her to be an interesting Deity and am curious how others feel about Her.

Discord is a personified concept, rather than a deity, and an almost entirely malignant concept. Discord represents argument, failed marriage, jealousy, distrust, suspiciousness, strife, war, greed, divisiveness, and just about every other harmful thing you can imagine.

For the Greeks, every idea that appeared in a mythic story was personified by a character, and this is where Discord as a character arises. It is like when English language authors or poets personify ideas like 'Love' or 'Sadness' or 'Death'.

I am not aware of there having ever been any cult of Discord, and any worship of the concept in general would have been very unusual and certainly rare, probably only by those in hateful, malicious states of mind.

The greatest and most glorious temple of Discord to have ever been built, I think, is the Korean DMZ.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OfThespiae Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:48 am

Hesiod, from Works & Days:

It was never true that there was only one Eris (Strife). There have always been two on earth. There is one you could like when you understand her. The other is hateful. The two Erites have separate natures. There is one Eris who builds up evil war, and slaughter. She is harsh; no man loves her, but under compulsion and by will of the immortals, men promote this rough Eris (Strife). But the other one was born the elder daughter of black Nyx. The son of Kronos, who sits on high and dwells in the bright air set her in the roots of the earth and among men; she is far kinder. She pushes the shiftless man to work, for all his laziness. A man looks at his neighbour, who is rich: then he too wants work; for the rich man presses on with his ploughing and planting and ordering of his estate. So the neighbour envies the neighbour who presses on toward wealth. Such Eris (Strife) is a good friend to mortals.

Between that and Empedocles' "Love and Strike" (actually, "philia" and "neikos", Attraction and Repulsion) is much closer to how I see things --there's definitely "an Eris", or a face of Eris, Who exists to deliver harsh truths and goad us into improving. I mean, Hesiod seemed to agree, and if the source is older than Malaclypse the Younger, then it can't be complete bunk. ;-)

OfThespiae

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 am

Yes, the two 'strifes.' The first one, Strife, and the second 'Striving' — we even use the same root word for both concepts in English.

But the 'other Strife' that Hesiodos mentions seems to me, by domain and genealogy, to be the same as the force Orphics call 'lesser/second Necessity', who is likewise the progeny of Zefs and Night, and who, similarly, drives the motionless into motion.

Forgive the confusion — because the Orphic system distinguishes the two in nomenclature, it had slipped my mind to consider that Hesiodos had called the lesser Necessity by the name of 'Eris' as well. I was speaking only of the one Hesiodos calls 'abhorred Strife.'
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum