Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Was It Right To Kill Suitors?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Was It Right To Kill Suitors?

Post  AgathonZante on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:32 pm

I honestly never understood the anger of Odysseus when he slaughtered all the suitors who tried to take his place in his absence. Yes, the suitors were unruly, but they were only doing what was custom of the time, which was to present themselves for Penelope to choose a new husband under the real possibility that her old husband wasn't going to return. She even waited until Telemachus had a beard like Odysseus wanted. I don't really see what the suitors did to warrant the death penalty. Does anyone else feel this way or am I all alone?

God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Was It Right To Kill Suitors?

Post  Erodius on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:25 pm

AgathonZante wrote:I honestly never understood the anger of Odysseus when he slaughtered all the suitors who tried to take his place in his absence. Yes, the suitors were unruly, but they were only doing what was custom of the time, which was to present themselves for Penelope to choose a new husband under the real possibility that her old husband wasn't going to return. She even waited until Telemachus had a beard like Odysseus wanted. I don't really see what the suitors did to warrant the death penalty. Does anyone else feel this way or am I all alone?

Among classicists a common reading is that the crime of the suitors was large-scale violation of the principles of xenia, the cultural code of hospitality.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top