Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No All Temple

2 posters

Go down

No All Temple Empty No All Temple

Post  AgathonZante Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Is this a true statement?

In ancient Greece, while people worshiped many Gods in their private homes or dwellings, there was no temple to all of the Gods. Each Divinity had their own designated and exclusive temple or sanctuary of honor.
AgathonZante
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

No All Temple Empty Re: No All Temple

Post  Thrasyvoulos Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:53 am

AgathonZante wrote:Is this a true statement?

In ancient Greece, while people worshiped many Gods in their private homes or dwellings, there was no temple to all of the Gods. Each Divinity had their own designated and exclusive temple or sanctuary of honor.

Temples could also be dedicated to a group of deities who were related with one another in some way relevant to the establishment of the temple. Temples also often contained auxiliary altars and/or shrines. Also, in the agora of ancient Athens there was an altar dedicated to "the 12 Gods," who are pretty much the 12 Olympians, although there is some debate about whether it is Hestia or Dionysus who is the 12th Olympian depicted on that altar. Regardless, the altar was de facto dedicated to all the Gods.

So I would not say it is a totally true statement, rather it may be considered a general norm, within reason.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  AgathonZante Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Yes, but I am referring to more than just the 12 Olympians. I am referring to the entire Greek pantheon. There was no "Temple Of The Greek Gods," right? Modernly speaking, yes we do have such organizations. But I don't think it existed in ancient times.
AgathonZante
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:00 pm

AgathonZante wrote:Yes, but I am referring to more than just the 12 Olympians. I am referring to the entire Greek pantheon. There was no "Temple Of The Greek Gods," right? Modernly speaking, yes we do have such organizations. But I don't think it existed in ancient times.

In ancient times, yes, depending on how lenient you want to be in perspective, and no depending on how strict you want to be.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down