Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Discovery of Minos' Palace

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Discovery of Minos' Palace

Post  ChrisWAldridge on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:34 pm

As we all know, Sir Evans discovered the great palace of Knossos on Crete. He dubbed it the Palace of Minos, and it is said that he also found a labyrinth beneath it. The story of Theseus says that the Hero went to Crete to enter the labyrinth of Minos and kill the Minotaur within. If it's true that Evans discovered this palace and the ruins of a labyrinth under it, it could give more evidence to the story of Theseus. Does anyone know if indeed the unearthed ruins have a maze underneath?

Now, as of old, the Gods give men all good things. - Democritus.
ChrisWAldridge

View user profile http://www.chrisaldridge.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Discovery of Minos' Palace

Post  Erodius on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:50 pm

ChrisWAldridge wrote:As we all know, Sir Evans discovered the great palace of Knossos on Crete. He dubbed it the Palace of Minos, and it is said that he also found a labyrinth beneath it. The story of Theseus says that the Hero went to Crete to enter the labyrinth of Minos and kill the Minotaur within. If it's true that Evans discovered this palace and the ruins of a labyrinth under it, it could give more evidence to the story of Theseus. Does anyone know if indeed the unearthed ruins have a maze underneath?

I have never heard of any evidence being uncovered of anything like a maze at the Cnossus excavation sites.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top