Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Sick People Can't Pray?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sick People Can't Pray?

Post  ChrisWAldridge on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:06 pm

I recently came across a fellow Hellenist who argued that sick people emit miasma and therefore shouldn't pray to the Gods and should be barred from temples and sanctuaries. I cited the pages in Burkert where he talks about how sick people would be incubated in sanctuaries of Healing Gods and give them offerings for wellness, and shortly after, I was blocked. I don't think that simply being sick makes you unclean and somehow an affront to the Gods. How could the Gods heal if they don't engage the ill? If the Gods aren't with us in our most troublesome times, then when are they with us? I don't see any problem with a sick person praying for healing. What do you guys think?

Now, as of old, the Gods give men all good things. - Democritus.
ChrisWAldridge

View user profile http://www.chrisaldridge.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Sick People Can't Pray?

Post  Erodius on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:10 pm

ChrisWAldridge wrote:I recently came across a fellow Hellenist who argued that sick people emit miasma and therefore shouldn't pray to the Gods and should be barred from temples and sanctuaries. I cited the pages in Burkert where he talks about how sick people would be incubated in sanctuaries of Healing Gods and give them offerings for wellness, and shortly after, I was blocked. I don't think that simply being sick makes you unclean and somehow an affront to the Gods. How could the Gods heal if they don't engage the ill? If the Gods aren't with us in our most troublesome times, then when are they with us? I don't see any problem with a sick person praying for healing. What do you guys think?

The answer is, as often, nuanced and instance-specific. In most formal sacrifices, it would have very likely been considered ill-omened for a sick person to participate. It would likely have been that sick people were advised against potentially offending a divine power by entering a sanctuary – however, there are also a handful of deities whose cults would not have had these customary restrictions, and that were frequented by the sick – most particularly Asclepius and Telesphorus, as well as Apollo, and often Diana, all of whom preside over matters of sickness and recovery.

Likewise, just because one ought not to enter a sanctuary while ill would not have meant one could not pray for recovery – an ill person may have dedicated a votive plaque or token in a sanctuary upon recovery. We know this happened in abundance, from the archaeological record.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top