Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Do the Gods respond?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do the Gods respond?

Post  Chiron424 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Hello and blessings all!

Do you any of you ever pray to the Olympic Gods and do they ever respond?

I personllay wonder why one might pray to them.... since according to the myths.. they weren't always nice..

What if any advantages are there to praying to them over other gods?
avatar
Chiron424
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 2
Join date : 2016-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  Dimitrios65 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Greetings and welcome!
If I may ask, what kind of response would you expect to receive from the Gods?
avatar
Dimitrios65
Junior Member
Junior Member

Posts : 38
Join date : 2014-10-24
Age : 23
Location : South Africa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  Chiron424 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:42 pm

A response similar to the ones Jesus apparently give.s

Do they ever announce their presence or appear in "visions" to people?
avatar
Chiron424
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 2
Join date : 2016-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  DavidMcCann on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:47 pm

I'd have thought that anyone who joins a forum for discussing Hellenism would pray to the gods! Unless they were a member out of curiosity or for research, I suppose.

Do gods respond? Well, yes. Sometimes they answer prayers, sometimes they manifest themselves. Gods may also manifest themselves without waiting to be asked, as well. I've certainly had experiences (no visions, though) and answered prayers.

Why do I pray to Hellenic gods, rather than Indian ones? Because I'm a European, not an Indian, and I was raised on Hellenic culture.

Two stories:

When I first got a statue of Asklepios, it needed painting. A book I had said that the colour red was associated with him, so I painted his robe crimson. Several times I felt a sense of disapproval when I addressed him and I wasn't sure what was going on. Then I read that Greeks who had visions of him in a temple always described him as dressed in white. Did a god care what his image looked like? I prayed for guidance on whether he wanted to be repainted and did a divination with the Yi Jing. The hexagram was "decoration". Three coats of white paint later there were no more sensations of disapproval.

Over the holidays, my CD player stopped working so I was going to buy a new one in the January sales. On the first day after the break, I was reading an interview with the Canaanite priestess, Tess Dawson, who said that the craftsman god Kocharu was helpful with computers and "he once healed my refrigerator." I thought "Why didn't I ask Hephaistos?" and I was suddenly hit by this overpowering urge. I literally ran across the room, switched the hifi on, and put a disk in the player. It worked! A prayer answered before I'd formally uttered it!

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

Posts : 130
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  Erodius on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:49 pm

One prays to Gods because they are Gods – because they are powerful, constant, wise and just. To be just is not always to be 'nice' or even necessarily 'gentle'. A God is infinitely wiser than any person.

There are no 'these gods' and 'those gods' – certainly, some divinities are universal, others local, others even familial, but God has no 'separations', but only a single spectrum.

Do they ever announce their presence or appear in "visions" to people?

Sometimes – though it is much more often that a divinity's presence is not visible. At other times, they appear in dreams, through the intercession of their attendant daemones (as the direct presence of a deity is not possible for a mortal being to experience).

_________________
"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope


ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
avatar
Erodius
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 928
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 26

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

The GODS and GODDESSES appear

Post  lisasouwahkwan on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 am

Sometimes the GODS and GODDESSES appear. Some of THEM, especially ZEUS GOD, have revealed THEMSELVES to me during this latest paranoid schizophrenic episode through corporeal possession and voices in my mind and telling me things that make me sure it is THEM. I've been wondering why since it feels like they've "ruined" my life in a sense, however, I know my life is theirs to do with as they please. I didn't pray to THEM except perhaps when I was very young and first read stories about them. The GODS raping GODDESSES and mortal women stood out the most in my mind. I have prayed to "Bible GOD" and that (fortunately/unfortunately) opened the "door". I would like to serve as a medium for anyone wanting a response from the GODS and GODDESSES who/what are speaking to me, however, it doesn't work that way.

lisasouwahkwan
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  Out of Phlegethon on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:32 pm

lisasouwahkwan wrote:Sometimes the GODS and GODDESSES appear. Some of THEM, especially ZEUS GOD, have revealed THEMSELVES to me during this latest paranoid schizophrenic episode through corporeal possession and voices in my mind and telling me things that make me sure it is THEM. I've been wondering why since it feels like they've "ruined" my life in a sense, however, I know my life is theirs to do with as they please. I didn't pray to THEM except perhaps when I was very young and first read stories about them. The GODS raping GODDESSES and mortal women stood out the most in my mind. I have prayed to "Bible GOD" and that (fortunately/unfortunately) opened the "door". I would like to serve as a medium for anyone wanting a response from the GODS and GODDESSES who/what are speaking to me, however, it doesn't work that way.

It sounds like you are not dealing with blessed visions so much as health issues, I think you should discard the notion that these dream-visions are divine in origin. If anything they sound more like those planted by an unclean daemon, but I think a physiological explanation is more necessary here and addressing it will seriously help you.
avatar
Out of Phlegethon
Full Member
Full Member

Posts : 114
Join date : 2013-06-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  lisasouwahkwan on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Out of Phlegethon wrote:
It sounds like you are not dealing with blessed visions so much as health issues, I think you should discard the notion that these dream-visions are divine in origin.  If anything they sound more like those planted by an unclean daemon, but I think a physiological explanation is more necessary here and addressing it will seriously help you.
Thank you very much for your reply. I'm not sure what to do. Both ways could make sense. I hesitate to ignore the voices since the main voice is that of ZEUS GOD and HE sometimes speaks of Hades or Tartarus Hell and wants me to believe in Olympianism; however, much of it has been trickery that has ruined my reputation and it would make sense then since I was told Hermes is involved and He is the Trickster GOD.

lisasouwahkwan
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  Out of Phlegethon on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Hermes would not trick you like that, I think what you are dealing with are forms of psychosis. You should report them to your doctor and not indulge them any further.
avatar
Out of Phlegethon
Full Member
Full Member

Posts : 114
Join date : 2013-06-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  lisasouwahkwan on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Out of Phlegethon wrote:Hermes would not trick you like that, I think what you are dealing with are forms of psychosis.  You should report them to your doctor and not indulge them any further.

I was hoping to find some believers on this site who have been through similar "ordeals". The GODS and GODDESSES are most definitely not kind to all humans. Today, I was taken to the local library to borrow books on Greek Mythology to read and reread myths about the GODS and GODDESSES. I do take antipsychotic medications regularly and have for ~8.5 years now. I can't explain it well, but there are small signs it is the GODS and GODDESSES speaking to me and "funning" with me. If THEY continue speaking to me, I'll work on shrine worship, especially to ZEUS, POSEIDON, HADES, HERA, DIONYSUS, APOLLO, HERMES, etcetera, adding a piece at a time.

lisasouwahkwan
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  Thrasyvoulos on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:03 pm

lisasouwahkwan wrote:
Out of Phlegethon wrote:Hermes would not trick you like that, I think what you are dealing with are forms of psychosis.  You should report them to your doctor and not indulge them any further.

I was hoping to find some believers on this site who have been through similar "ordeals". The GODS and GODDESSES are most definitely not kind to all humans. Today, I was taken to the local library to borrow books on Greek Mythology to read and reread myths about the GODS and GODDESSES. I do take antipsychotic medications regularly and have for ~8.5 years now. I can't explain it well, but there are small signs it is the GODS and GODDESSES speaking to me and "funning" with me. If THEY continue speaking to me,  I'll work on shrine worship, especially to ZEUS, POSEIDON, HADES, HERA, DIONYSUS, APOLLO, HERMES, etcetera, adding a piece at a time.

I would like to propose to you a question of logic. You've stated that you are a paranoid schizophrenic in another thread. You insist that these beings you claim to have encountered are truly Gods. My question is: how do you know? I do not mean to be harsh, but Occam's Razor (do not assume more than is necessary for any scenario) would dictate that the most logical explanation of these occurrences are that they are manifestations of your illness, and not the manifestations of deities. Your condition may be worsening, and your medications which treat it may be becoming non-sufficient and the dosage needing adjustment. We cannot know that, though. Which is why we implore you to speak with your doctor concerning this. We cannot in good conscience entertain this notion of yours specifically because you are schizophrenic. Ethically, it would be wrong for us to do so. Please, speak with your doctor.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Posts : 283
Join date : 2013-04-15
Age : 24
Location : Misery (Missouri)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do the Gods respond?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum