Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Ending Prayers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ending Prayers

Post  AgathonZante on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:39 pm

Neo-Pagans end their prayers or invocations with "So Mote It Be." Christians end their prayers with "Amen." What should Hellenists end their prayers with?

God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ending Prayers

Post  Thrasyvoulos on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:23 am

AgathonZante wrote:Neo-Pagans end their prayers or invocations with "So Mote It Be." Christians end their prayers with "Amen." What should Hellenists end their prayers with?

"γένοιτο." Pronounced YEH-knee-toh. Emphasis on the first syllable. It means "Let this be so." It is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew "amen."

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AgathonZante on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:42 am

Oh, ok. I had pretty much been using that as an ending, except I said "Let it be done." Which is basically the same thing. Recently, I have also begun ending with "Olympos favor my prayer."

God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Why does their have to be a set ending? Examples of ancient prayers don't have one, and the neo-pagan practice is just an imitation of "amen", as the Heathen sign of the hammer imitates the sign of the cross.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:11 pm

The word γένοιτο was not simply a codified ending for prayers as 'amen' came to be. It's used in a variety of contexts, both secular and religious, and has an optative or negative meaning with regard to whatever the person was discussing.

It is a prayer in and of itself, that would sometimes be used as a closing, and just as often within the body of a prayer, to request that whatever is sought transpire as asked.

Such was originally, the meaning of 'amen' as well, and hence the use of γένοιτο to translate it in the LXX.

Only later did 'amen' metamorphose into a sort of abracadabra formulaic closure to any prayer.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content