Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

To Stand or Kneel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Stand or Kneel

Post  AgathonZante on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:26 pm

I know Hellenists usually pray standing up, but is there anything that says you cannot kneel under any circumstances?

God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Stand or Kneel

Post  Thrasyvoulos on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:24 am

AgathonZante wrote:I know Hellenists usually pray standing up, but is there anything that says you cannot kneel under any circumstances?

No. I kneel. Mostly because my shrine table is less than two feet off the ground. But that's irrelevant.

Sure, we know of customs the Hellenes enacted when praying. Standing and palms raised to the sky when praying to Ouranian deities, standing with palms facing the earth or just prostrating when praying to Chthonic deities, palms facing toward the sea if to an aquatic deity. But these are not hard and fast rules, especially in private practice.

Prayer is sacred, and an act of freedom. As long as you're respectful and reverent, kneeling is perfectly fine. Besides, isn't it a natural action, to want to kneel before the Kings and Queens of the Cosmos, beings so much more powerful, awesome and Good than we are?

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Public sacrifices would be standing affairs (as is still done in Greek Orthodox church practice, where the congregation stands for most or all of the service, and where churches often lack fixed seating areas).

The setup of most surviving household shrines indicates that worship would have also been done standing.

Still, it is certain that some settings, mostly private/household, would have featured kneeling worship

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content