Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Creating Hero Rituals & Rites

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Creating Hero Rituals & Rites

Post  AgathonZante on Sun May 31, 2015 2:21 am

How do we create our own rituals within the scope of Hellenism? I have a couple of Heroes I would like to honor, but I don't know where to start in the way of creating a practice centered around them.
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Creating Hero Rituals & Rites

Post  Erodius on Sun May 31, 2015 7:43 pm

Most fundamentally,

1. purify yourself and the space, if it is not already consecrated
2. invoke the power you wish to worship by name and by any titles appropriate to the situation or purpose of your worship
3. make your request, and offer something in sacrifice

The type/category of divinity one is worshipping – i.e. major god, minor god, local tutelary, ancestral soul, heroic soul, etc. – does not really have much effect on the how's of worship.

The worship of a deified hero, in other words, does not look noticeably different from that of any other deity.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top