Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Kronos Forgiven

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kronos Forgiven

Post  AgathonZante on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 pm

I read that, although Zeus defeated and overthrew his Father, thus freeing His brothers and sisters from his prison and then sentencing Kronos to the depths of Tartaros, I read that Zeus later forgave Kronos and Kronos went on the rule over the Isles of the Blessed. Is this accurate historical religious belief of the Greeks?
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kronos Forgiven

Post  Erodius on Fri May 01, 2015 9:33 pm

AgathonZante wrote:I read that, although Zeus defeated and overthrew his Father, thus freeing His brothers and sisters from his prison and then sentencing Kronos to the depths of Tartaros, I read that Zeus later forgave Kronos and Kronos went on the rule over the Isles of the Blessed. Is this accurate historical religious belief of the Greeks?

Yes, though it is ultimately symbolic. It can be interpreted through his being the ancestor of mortals, and so a synecdoche for all his descendants, some of whom are forgiven and come into Zeus' good favor, and then dwell in the Isles of the Blessed, the place of proximity to the Gods, after death.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  De Li on Sat May 02, 2015 8:41 am

Erodius wrote:
AgathonZante wrote:I read that, although Zeus defeated and overthrew his Father, thus freeing His brothers and sisters from his prison and then sentencing Kronos to the depths of Tartaros, I read that Zeus later forgave Kronos and Kronos went on the rule over the Isles of the Blessed. Is this accurate historical religious belief of the Greeks?

Yes, though it is ultimately symbolic. It can be interpreted through his being the ancestor of mortals, and so a synecdoche for all his descendants, some of whom are forgiven and come into Zeus' good favor, and then dwell in the Isles of the Blessed, the place of proximity to the Gods, after death.

I have to ask:

The souls who  dwell on the Isles of the Blessed -- are they in between lives, i.e. in a state of bliss before taking rebirth? -- or are they already deified souls i.e. gods ?

And what about the Heroes / heroic souls --who are also said to dwell on the Blessed Island-- are they not deified souls ?

-- Or can the Blessed Island be understood as a mixing-merging point between the 'highest destination' for a pure soul (yet not ready to step off generation) in between lives on the one hand, and the deified souls (who dwell with the other gods in the empyrean realm) on the other hand ? -- i.e. the Blessed Island as "transition place" (for lack of a better word) between the "highest sphere" of the sublunary world, and the empyrean world ?
De Li

View user profile http://hearthofheid.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Sun May 10, 2015 1:01 pm

I lean toward your third point.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content