Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings everyone.

3 posters

Go down

Greetings everyone. Empty Greetings everyone.

Post  Vadzhij Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:34 am

I used to frequent this forum a few years ago when I first came upon Hellenismos, I was drawn immediately and started reading up on it. However, as time progressed my devotion to Hellenismos faded, mind you, by Hellenismos I mean the reconstructionist religion based on practice and right practice at that. I personally found religious practice dull and pointless without a common theological or ontological system to give meaning to the rituals. Until I found Platonic philosophy I felt empty inside. Now I can say I found my path. My journey took me from the ritualistic to the philosophical which I found more fulfilling and intellectually enticing. So that's my story.

Vadzhij

Back to top Go down

Greetings everyone. Empty Re: Greetings everyone.

Post  DavidMcCann Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Welcome back!

With me it was the other way round. I discovered Plato in my teens but went on for years trying to be a Christian.

Any decent religion is a complete package — not like that of those who attend a church on Sunday, say a quick prayer at night, and forget about it during the day. But ritual is not to be despised: as an anthropologist (Zuese, in Ritual Cosmos) wrote
Ritual … is spiritually more profound than any theology, it accomplishes more for those who participate in it than any number of rarified mystical treatises … The deepest form of knowing is through doing. Being is less adequate a religious good than Becoming. In the final anysis, it is only when we act out concretely our deepest convictions that they become our real convictions, that we truly experience their truth — or discover their falsity. As human beings … we take refuge in idealities such as myth and theology, we long for primordial being, and we thirst for ultimate states that will remove us from our own insufficiencies and mortality. [ritual] not only announces our limits and humbles us by showing us our bodies, but it also indicates that our limits and bodies are sanctified participants in a larger marvelous whole, a divine order.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Vadzhij Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:54 pm

I agree on the importance of ritual, but personally I felt that plethonean platonism gave Hellenic ritual a more profound meaning.

Vadzhij

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:01 am

A belated "hello, and welcome," to you Smile

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum