Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Marriage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marriage

Post  Tyberious on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Im getting married soon, and I was wondering what type of practices or specific things were included in olympianism. Like how does one have a ceremony that upholds olympian traditions.
Tyberious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marriage

Post  Erodius on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:42 pm

In short, marriage would be considered mainly a civil matter, not a religious one. Although parts of marriage preparation involved certain purifications and offerings to ensure a good future, the ceremonies of marriage were not especially religious in focus. 

This article might be helpful for you:

http://ablemedia.com/ctcweb/consortium/ancientweddings3.html

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Hellenism would be an odd religion if it had no wedding ceremony!

From Jan Bremmer's article in Religions of the Ancient World (Harvard UP, 2004):
1. The bride bathes, sacrifices a lock of hair to Artemis, makes offerings to Zeus Teleios and Hera Teleia, and sets out for the groom's house.
2. The bride is dressed in red, with a wreath of myrtle. The groom is dressed in white, with a wreath of sesame or poppy.
3. The guests throw confetti (fruit and nuts) on the couple.
4. The bride is presented to the household altar of the groom.
He cites Le marriage grec par A. Vérilhac & C. Vial (Athens, 1998)

The ceremony used by Labrys in modern Greece takes place at an altar in the marriage venue.
1. A bridal procession of 2 torch-bearers, a young girl with a basket of rose petals and wheat, the bride, and her parents.
2. The groom's procession of 2 torch-bearers, a boy with a basket of red and white ribbons, the groom, and his parents.
3. The bride and groom stand either side of the altar, presided over by the paranymphos, who crowns them with wreaths of laurel, olive, or flowers, interwoven with red and white ribbons.
5. The two children distribute the contents of their baskets to the guests, to use as confetti.
6. The gods are invoked, and the bride and groom offer locks of hair to Artemis and Apollo.
7. Prayers are said to Artemis, Apollo, Zeus, and Hera.
8. The couple circle the altar, while the guests throw confetti.
9. A hymn is sung to Aphrodite.
10. The couple pray to Peitho (Persuasion) while the paranymphos makes a libation.

I hope this helps, and that Zeus and Hera will bless your marriage.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyberious on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:10 pm

thank you all so very much this is exactly what i was looking for.
Tyberious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top