Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Transliteration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Transliteration

Post  AgathonZante on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Does anyone have a list of the Gods' Names in transliteration?
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transliteration

Post  Erodius on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Ζεύς Zeús
Ἥρα/Ἥρη Hḗra / Hḗrē
Ποσειδῶν Poseidṓn
Δημἠτηρ Dēmḗtēr
Πλούτων Ploútōn
Ἑστία Hestía
Περσεφόνη Persephónē 
Ἀπόλλων Apóllōn 
Ἄρτεμις Ártemis
Ἀθήνη Athḗnē
Ἥφαιστος Hḗphaistos
Ἑρμῆς Hermḗs
Ἀφροδίτη Aphrodítē
Ἄρης Árēs
Διόνυσος Diónysos

There are other transliteration systems for Greek, but what I've listed shows the most direct and typical academic transliteration. Sometimes the macrons aren't used, but this fails to represent the proper Greek vowels. ē≠e, ō≠o, they are neither written nor pronounced the same in Greek. 

Some systems represent chi with 'kh', others with 'ch' to distinguish from kappa as 'k'. Phi is customarily transliterated with 'ph' but 'f' is occasionally used. Some use 'u' for ypsilon, others use 'y' to reflect etymology and pronunciation and use 'u' for omicron+ypsilon. 

Some systems use essentially Latinate transliteration but switch -us to -os. Thus things like 'Hephaestos', or 'Bacchos'. There are also different ways to represent geminate consonants with necessary pronunciation shifts, like geminate gamma. Some write 'ng', others directly represent it as 'gg'. 

In short, if you read 10 books that include transliterated Greek words, I'd venture you'll run across at least 5 or so different transliteration methods.

As I said, I'm a fan of just sidestepping the whole chaos of trying to represent Greek words with a script that is really not well suited to doing so and just writing Greek, you know, in Greek.  Laughing

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Orphic Way: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AgathonZante on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Isn't Hades spelled Haides? I thought Pluto was the Roman God.
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:37 pm

AgathonZante wrote:Isn't Hades spelled Haides? I thought Pluto was the Roman God.

Hádēs, Haídēs, Ádēs, Aídēs, or even Aidoneús, or, of course Ploútōn. There were numerous spellings and, what we would call 'euphemisms' for Hades. 

Pluto is Latin, Πλούτων is Greek. The Latin is an old Greek loanword.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Orphic Way: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AgathonZante on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:55 am