Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Sometimes Uncomfortable...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sometimes Uncomfortable...

Post  Achrelus on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 pm

We don't talk about religion a lot in my house, but when we do it sometimes gets uncomoftable...My dad is not much for religion and finds it very farytalish (sometimes this is correct). I haven't told him yet that I am a Hellenist and I cant seem to find that comfort zone with the topic.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://olympianismos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sometimes Uncomfortable...

Post  Erodius on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:05 pm

If there isn't a reason to make a big deal of it, then I don't think it necessary to do so.

If asked, certainly be honest, but otherwise, I think it is a private matter.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Achrelus on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:10 pm

That has been my approach so far, I just hope it is the right one. Sometimes it gets to me, because we are a very open family. This is realy the only thing that I don't talk about with them.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://olympianismos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  J_Agathokles on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:31 am

Αχρηλος, everyone has their secrets. Don't you think for one minute that your other family members don't have things of their own they prefer not to talk about with the family.

J_Agathokles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen K on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 pm

I don't have exactly the same situation, but a similar one. Technically I think both my parents are atheists, but either way I don't consider my religion something I need to explain to them.

The only thing I can think of that I would have to explain might be that I don't want anyone touching my shrine (I have a little sister who often goes into my room without my permission so that can be a problem). Said little sister I anticipate mockery form, so I don't have any plans to share this info with her at any point. As of now the only person who I have outright told is my girlfriend who is a Wiccan. I think my aunt and cousin know just because I'm more open with them than my own parents.

My grandmother is a christian so I don't know about telling her...

Helen K

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Callisto on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 pm

I think whether and to whom one should discuss their religion with can only be determined on a per case basis. Not everyone I'm close with (friends or family) know my religion, or even my opinion on religion in general. No one discusses/discloses every facet of his life with every person they know.

However, I DO find it amusing the different views people have on my home when they visit. Those who don't know think I just like Classical art, while those who are aware know exactly what they're looking at (e.g. a shrine). Laughing

Callisto
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Apollyon on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Callisto wrote:I think whether and to whom one should discuss their religion with can only be determined on a per case basis. Not everyone I'm close with (friends or family) know my religion, or even my opinion on religion in general. No one discusses/discloses every facet of his life with every person they know.

However, I DO find it amusing the different views people have on my home when they visit. Those who don't know think I just like Classical art, while those who are aware know exactly what they're looking at (e.g. a shrine). Laughing

I am in the same boat, Callisto. I believed only 2 people know....no one from my family, though I think my wife suspects... Wink
Apollyon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  spokane89 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 pm

I've told very few people of my change to this belief system. It's not that I am afraid so much as it isn't really anybody's business, I don't feel the need to just tell everyone about it
spokane89

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lesbian Believer on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:09 pm

I am staying in contact with a local group practising witchcraft. Most of them are solitary witches. Recently, I heard that there is a "Asatru"-group in my town. I will go and get more information about them and visit them when I have got the time.
The men and women of the local witchcraft-group know about my path. Additionally, my family and my best friend know.

Lesbian Believer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:12 pm

I would recommend keeping one's religion to oneself unless it is for some reason essential that someone know it or someone has approached you respectfully seeking to learn about it.

While there are several religious centers around me that would probably tolerate my presence and welcome me regardless, I do not keep contact with them. It is not my business to bring my religion into their places, even though they would likely welcome me as a visitors, since they are not Orphics or even Olympianists to begin with. Conversely, if I were interested in exploring their beliefs, I would not do that while considering myself a part of another religion, regardless of what it was.

To me, a seeker is a seeker, and is a kind of spiritual limbo wherein one should not consider oneself a part of any religion. Don't commit to anything, I say, until your heart and mind are sure and solid in their choice.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:22 pm

My family mostly consider it a bit eccentric that I have chosen this faith - that I have chosen any faith at all mind you, I grew up with those 'modern intellectuals' who regard religion as something for museums. But when I explain it to them they understand and respect it even if they think it a bit peculiar. (My brothers want to tease me about it now and then, like when there's a thunderstorm going "Zeus is pissed with you again?" but it's good natured and I tend to just shrug it off)

Then agains recently upon visiting my mother I noted a new item in her living room. A small silver Buddha statue. Upon asking her about it, she told me she 'liked it' and that it held 'good vibrations'. Somehow I sensed that there was more to it than that, but I didn't want to push the issue. And she has been into yoga since the 80ies so I should not really be that surprised.

Among my friends and collegues there are a lot of believers as well, my former boss was a Jew and did nothing to hide it and one of my best friends is Lapponian and confesses to their old faith. She took it up in her 20ies after losing a child and felt she needed a comfort she could not find elsewhere and her family thought she was even more peculiar, as they were more or less ashamed of their origin and wanted so bad to be 'modern'. (How do you tell there's nothing 'modern' with denying your roots?)
Linda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J_Agathokles on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:32 am

Lapponian? What's that? Do you mean the Sámi?

J_Agathokles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:07 am

Yes, they have both names. Caisa, my friend, is a bit picky with using the name Lapponian for herself (since that's the Swedish name/branch) so I guess that's why that stuck.
Linda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andromeda Amethyst on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:55 am

Most everyone knows what religious path I follow. My family found out when my younger brothers asked me point blank. I answered honostly as I saw no reason to lie or refuse to answer. My father is Roman Catholic now (after working his way thru Christian and Episcopalean) and heard. My step-mother told me that while they don't agree with my choice they don't want to make a big deal out of it as I am my fathers only blood-daughter. They are kind enough to not make an issue of the fact that they have to share a room with my main altar when they come up to visit us.

I've never actually had a bad experience with someone of a different religion when I told them. Most just shrug or look at me funny but the one with the most questions was a really nice guy I work with that is looking to go to seminary school. We used to sit across from each other and have discussions about both our religions very amicably. Although sometimes he sounded a bit like he was trying to convert me. Rolling Eyes

Who you tell when is a very personal choice that has to be made by each individual. Depending on the person you are comtemplating telling, you might actually be surprised by their reaction. Most people that aren't some sort of holly-roller bible-thumper will probably be surprised but most likely won't have a major negative reaction.
Andromeda Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos on Thu May 30, 2013 12:13 am

Coming from what Andromeda Amethyst calls a "Holy-Roller Bible-thumper" family (I grew up Oneness Pentecostal Christian, and her description is spot on Laughing ), I've more or less kept my religious affiliation on the "down-low." I am lucky in that I'm better able to fly under the radar, because I have always been an avid reader, especially of mythology and Classical works, as well as always having kept and used candles and incense and the like. I keep to a don't ask, don't tell policy with my family. Only one friend knows of my religion, and she was rather accepting, being an eclectic neopagan. Other than her, though, no one among my friends and family knows, and that's probably for the best, as my family will never accept it and I live in the Bible Belt. I'm pretty open about it among my contacts in the furry fandom, however, but then I know few of them personally.

When it comes down to it, this all depends on circumstances and environment. I see nothing wrong about being open with it if you're in an ideal place to do so, but if you're in a situation like what I described, discretion is a very valuable tool.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tayarlin on Thu May 30, 2013 11:26 am

I've told just my very close friends, and none of my family. My religion is something that I hold very dear to me and feel that it is not something that I need to share with all my acquaintances and/school chums. If the need arises I will certainly defend my beliefs.

However, in the case at hand, I feel caution and timing is of importance. Such things should not be taken lightly. Razz

tayarlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Herakles on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:44 am

Interestingly the only people I have told about my religion has been a couple Catholic Priests at the hospital as I was preparing for surgery on two seperate occasions. Each asked if they could pray for me. I told them I was a Polytheist then explained how I worshipped the Gods of Hellas, which I explained was Greece. They both took it in stride.
I have not mentioned to my family about my belief. Religion does not come up very often and i am not sure how they would react, so I have ketp silent. I think many of us here are in a similar boat as regards our families, tell them don't tell them???

Herakles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum