Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Blood offerings to the Gods?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blood offerings to the Gods?

Post  Thrasyvoulos on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:46 pm

With the likely misleading title used to attract unwarranted attention out of the way now...

I have my opinions on the topic, however, I want to hear others' opinions.

Perhaps "offering" was an inaccurate word to use. I mean donating blood for the purpose of transfusions in honor of a God. Perhaps to Apollon, since the blood will be used to ensure someone's health in the event of an accident.

Do you think it's appropriate? Do you think it's inappropriate? Why?

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blood offerings to the Gods?

Post  Megara on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:53 am

I would tend to think that donating blood, at like a Red Cross center, or at your local blood donation center, would be okay..... However, doing a blood offering during a ritual or prayer, as in using that as an offering, would --to my understanding of modern practices-- be a big no-no! Just as animal sacrifices are not done anymore --and they were rarely done at all in Greece [unless what I've read is completely wrong, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!!!]-- I would go ahead and say that blood offerings would be highly advised *against*.

However, since you are wanting to do a donation to a blood center [and *not* do a blood offering in a ritualistic sense], I would say that it would be good.

As a personal aside...When I was 17 I ate some bad food and contracted the E. Coli virus [as in, the deadly strain, since everybody already has a non-lethal strain in their bodies to help digest food and do other schtuffs haha]. I was hospitalized for ten days and had to get 5 blood transfusions because my blood platelet count went from the 200,000s down to 10,000 [which is REALLY freaking BAD!!!! haha] So, I was --and still am, to this day-- so thankful for the people that donated blood, because without them, I would not be here today. Guaranteed. [they said that had I arrived at the hospital two days later I would probably not be alive....it was a very scary time for me and my family.] So, from a personal point of view, I would say if you are willing to donate, please do!! I am eternally grateful to the people that donated and saved my life and I encourage all of my friends and family to donate whenever they can. Alright, I'll get off my podium now. Razz
Megara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top