Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epidauria

2 posters

Go down

Epidauria Empty Epidauria

Post  holden1420 Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Today, September 12, is the Epidauria (a festival of Asklepios). Asklepios is a big influence in my life, I'm not a doctor or anything like that, but i have always said a prayer to Asklepios in my daily prayer for good health for me and my family. Does anyone have any ideas about how to celebrate this festival and what offerings to give to Asklepios.

holden1420

Back to top Go down

Epidauria Empty Re: Epidauria

Post  Erodius Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:28 pm

The Epidauria was local festival of the popular Asclepian shrine at the seaside town of Epidaurus, somewhat near Athens. It was a festival of that particular shrine, and was not a 'universal' festival, although the popularity and reputation of the Epidaurus shrine was enough to make many people from other places travel to Epidaurus for the festival, in which devotees and visitors to Epidaurus would bathe in the sea and spend their nights in the hall of the temple complex, hoping to receive, through the signs in their dreams, either a miraculous healing by the deity, or some instruction for how to be cured. 

Asclepius receives much the same offerings as any other deity – incense, wine offerings, popana loaves, fruit, garlands, etc.

His typical sacrifice was a rooster, which, alongside the snake, is Asclepius' major animal symbolon.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum