Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Functioning Modern Temples

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Functioning Modern Temples

Post  CWD202 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:20 pm

I just read the thread about temple construction and a question popped into my head, are there any modern-day temples dedicated to the Gods that are in use? I know that it is unlikely, but at the same time it is possible. I'm doing some research and if anyone knew of any that have been constructed, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share any information that you had. Thanks!  Smile
CWD202

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Functioning Modern Temples

Post  Erodius on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 pm

CWD202 wrote:I just read the thread about temple construction and a question popped into my head, are there any modern-day temples dedicated to the Gods that are in use? I know that it is unlikely, but at the same time it is possible. I'm doing some research and if anyone knew of any that have been constructed, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share any information that you had. Thanks!  Smile

There is, I believe, a quasi-functioning temple outside of Thessalonica, and there are a small handful of essentially private/sodality-specific shrines elsewhere in Greece – none genuinely public, for a variety of reasons. 

However, there is really no fundamental difference between a municipal temple and a proper domestic shrine other than size and access. Private temples existed in Antiquity, and, given that it is rightly constructed and properly maintained, a domestic shrine is quite literally a temple in miniature.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Here we are!
http://prometheia.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/naos/
It's not the Parthenon, but at least it's a start.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top