Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Near death experiences

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Near death experiences

Post  Philhellene91 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:56 am

What is your opinion on such a subject? They seem to have some similarities but they also have some odd differences like most hindus or buddhists meeting the god Yamraja but they get sent back because they were not the person that was supposed to die. Whereas in the west most people say they see a being of light and they feel loved, some think it's Jesus, although this being never really discloses it's identity. Also are there any accounts of afterlife experiences from antiquity?

Philhellene91

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Near death experiences

Post  Erodius on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:01 am

I think many are valid and profound, while others are clearly fabricated. It is a case-by-case situation.

The "Myth of Er" from Plato, the "Vision of Aridaeus" from Plutarch, and the "Dream of Scipio" from Cicero are all, arguably, near death experience accounts.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top