Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Plunteria

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Plunteria

Post  AgathonZante on Sun May 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Today is Athena's festival on the Attic calendar. What would be a good offering to give Her?
AgathonZante
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Plunteria

Post  Erodius on Sun May 25, 2014 10:30 pm

The Πλυντήρια was a public-sphere festival in Athens, specifically, rather than a private observance.

Actually, it marked the time when the special garments that were used to clothe the Acropolis' statue were ceremonially washed (if my memory serves me right, in the sea).

Any typical veneration of Pallas would be appropriate. If you have an image of the deity, it would be appropriate to offer or dress the image in saffron-colored cloth (that was what was used to dress the image on the Acropolis), however, nothing that elaborate is necessary. As I mentioned, it was a public festival focused on a particular statue and shrine in Athens, not really a private observance.

Hope that helps.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann on Mon May 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Erodius wrote:If you have an image of the deity, it would be appropriate to offer or dress the image in saffron-colored cloth (that was what was used to dress the image on the Acropolis), however, nothing that elaborate is necessary.
On the topic of dressing images, this thread on another forum is interesting.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/hinduism-dir/163076-deity-clothing.html
The pictures start appearing on page 3.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Mon May 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Indeed – the practice is called vastra in Sanskrit.

It is a typical element of most formal Hindu temple ceremonies – though less so in private cultus, where the large images that are clothed in vastra rituals are often beyond the means or facilities of a private household. Though, particularly in Krishnaite Vaishnavism, home-scale smaller images of Krishna and Radha are used in worship, which are sold with sets of tailored vastra garments specially for the images.

Sometimes, however, a small-scale nod to the vastra ceremony is performed wherein smaller images, or even framed icons, have a strip of sacred cloth tied around them or draped over the frame.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content