Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Movie Recommendation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Movie Recommendation

Post  Thrasyvoulos on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 am

There's no section for movies, so I didn't think this fit in any section other than chitchat.

I've recently bought "Agora" on iTunes, and I found the movie very emotionally moving.

It's a telling of the life of the philosopher Hypatia during the time of the opression of alternate religions by early Christianity.

It is not an entirely accurate historical account, but it is still an amazing movie. I highly recommend watching.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie Recommendation

Post  Out of Phlegethon on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:59 pm

It looks quite interesting. I am willing to forfeit historical accuracy for aesthetic endeavors-- Just not for the entertainment factor (such as Gladiator!).
Out of Phlegethon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Out of Phlegethon on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Okay, having seen the film now, and enjoyed watching it...    

Hypatia was too nonpartisan for who the real Hypatia actually was (a non-Christian Platonist philosopher), and was obviously just being utilized as a point of identification for the contemporary atheistic Enlightenment viewer who, in this cinematic conflict between faiths, can at least connect with the universality of non-theological scientific reason (i.e. the heliocentric theory inserted to make it seem like something transcends the violence).  Too easy; there is no reason outside of God, and no science except sacred science.  

Better to make a film that shows how three warring faiths overlap in metaphysics, piety and beauty.  But unfortunately it wasn't an art film made by a would-be Tarkovsky!  But still.  I enjoyed watching it, and thought the Christian mobs were a tangy counterpoint to all the movies with the guy from Galilee getting worked over by cruel, grinning Romans.  Films like this stir up a bee's nest of the faithful, but get a mediocre script, nail anyone resembling our schizoid, illiterate Galilean godson to a 2 x 4 and the masses have a collective orgasm.  Go figure.

Last edited by Erodius on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : requested typo fix)
Out of Phlegethon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top