Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings form New Brunswick.

4 posters

Go down

Greetings form New Brunswick. Empty Greetings form New Brunswick.

Post  starscream Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:53 am

So I'm new to the Hellenic way of things but I already feel like it's going to be a good fit. I'm still reading up on things before I go out and buy everything I feel I'll need but I figured this forum could help.

And hello!

Starscream.
starscream
starscream

Back to top Go down

Greetings form New Brunswick. Empty Re: Greetings form New Brunswick.

Post  Daedalus Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:14 pm

Hello and welcome!
Daedalus
Daedalus

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:51 pm

starscream wrote:So I'm new to the Hellenic way of things but I already feel like it's going to be a good fit. I'm still reading up on things before I go out and buy everything I feel I'll need but I figured this forum could help.

And hello!

Starscream.

Welcome to the forum; I hope your time here is productive for you.

However, I would not advise 'going crazy' with the spending right off the bat (in this, or anything else in life really). It's natural to feel a sort of urgency and passionate focus when something is new to you, but it will be once the shiny novelty wears off that you'll know if something is truly right for a long-term commitment.

You shouldn't have to pay more than a few dollars for basic items for worship — a votive candle, a box of matches, a little bowl for water, and then the appropriate vessels for the sort of oblations you want to give — i.e. you'll need a cruet/creamer and a bowl/saucer for liquid, a plate for a food/meal offering, and/or a ceramic or metal container for incense. These represent the three ways of giving oblations, analogous to the primary classical elements of the world: water, earth and air/fire. All have been common manners of offering across all Classical religion (and even nearly all modern religions that incorporate some type of material ritual), however, it is not necessary to perform all of them in every act of worship (or even at all, depending on the circumstance). It is fine to only pour wine, or only offer food, flowers or sacred plants, or to only burn incense (offering only incense was the common practice of a great many philosophical movements who advocated that only incense was pure enough to give to God — and fire is the traditional intermediary at sacrifice, fire and air are the most divine of the elements, and smoke rises heavenward without any assistance).
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starscream Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm

I've been researching this for over a year so if the shiny hasn't worn off yet then I'm not to worried about it. I was waiting until I could get a copy of The Orphic Hymns for under $400 but then I found them online for free and then I found them on amazon and chapters for under that amount. Anywho. After doing a sweep of my home I only need to get three things and I can get them all for under $5. Some day I'll incorporate statues but that's when I have some more room. Until then I already have some pictures I can use in their stead.

But again, thanks for your advice.
starscream
starscream

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:03 pm

So you're interested in Orphism then?
Erodius
Erodius

Back to top Go down

Post  starscream Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:52 pm

I am interested in it. I'm mainly buying the book because a) I love the hymns and b) they will be used in my daily worship.
starscream
starscream

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:34 pm

starscream wrote:I am interested in it. I'm mainly buying the book because a) I love the hymns and b) they will be used in my daily worship.

That's interesting to hear — the Teletae seem to be rather often off-putting for various reasons to many outside the fold of Orphism — these individuals seem to usually have a strong preference for reading from the Hymns of the Homerica.

Reasons I have heard personally are usually some combination of a. because the Orphic Hymns are framed with Orphic theology and mythology, they can be strange and confusing to those not familiar with it, especially where it differs from common Hellenistic myth, and/or b. they feel awkward continually referencing and praying for the salvation of the initiates when they are not initiates or initiands themselves.
Erodius
Erodius

Back to top Go down

Post  starscream Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:20 pm

I find them beautiful and maybe that's just me. I haven't read much of the hymn's by Homer so I also might be biased.
starscream
starscream

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:05 am

starscream wrote: I find them beautiful and maybe that's just me. I haven't read much of the hymn's by Homer so I also might be biased.

They are quite beautiful hymns judging from prose alone, but sitting down and just absorbing every deliberately placed word-hint and slowly piecing together in my mind a marvelous masterpiece of theology is even more so :)I've learned more from the Teletae than any Homeric hymn, though they have great value to them, as well.

You can buy a copy of the Orphic Hymn translation by Thomas Taylor for very cheap online. I bought a copy through Forgotten Book publishing for less than twelve US dollars, and that's counting tax and shipping/handling. No need to pay $400 for a first edition, fancy copy

Erodius wrote:
That's interesting to hear — the Teletae seem to be rather often off-putting for various reasons to many outside the fold of Orphism — these individuals seem to usually have a strong preference for reading from the Hymns of the Homerica.

Honestly, I think some have problems with it's "softer" theology, meaning many Olympianists in the English-speaking West are reconstructionists who tend to be "hard" polytheists, whereas Orphic theism tends to be much more nuanced and is practically multiple things at once (polytheistic, yet also monotheistic, with a splash of pantheism, and probably a few more -isms if we really got specific).

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  starscream Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:52 am

Icarus wrote:

You can buy a copy of the Orphic Hymn translation by Thomas Taylor for very cheap online. I bought a copy through Forgotten Book publishing for less than twelve US dollars, and that's counting tax and shipping/handling. No need to pay $400 for a first edition, fancy copy

Yeah, I'm getting my copy from Chapters for $20, taxes in. That was on of the more off putting parts for me. His translations are free online too so if I really had to I could just print them off but I'd rather have the book since I can afford it.
starscream
starscream

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum