Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Whom to pray to?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Whom to pray to?

Post  BlessByThee on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm

I need a helpful guide to which God we should pray to for a certain stimulus or happening around us.
I'd just find this a lot easier and a lot more helpful if anyone of you'd be interested in helping me out?
I know that the best way to do is is by doing it the way that is better for yourself but sometimes what you do is not right in the sense.
BlessByThee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Whom to pray to?

Post  Erodius on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Your question is a bit vague and cryptic for me to really understand what you are specifically asking. One can pray for anything to any power. However, that hardly means one should expect an answer or to have one's prayer fulfilled. What transpires is the business of fate and the mind of God, not humanity.

Nor is it even necessary (or even advisable, per the reckoning of some) to even pray for anything at all. One can pray without asking for anything. Existence goes on perfectly well without our input, and our tiny spheres of perception cannot possibly fathom what is always best in the long run.

Since you are new, and also young, I would recommend spending some time reading through some of the selection of reading and learning materials available freely through the various fora of the site (especially this one, the 'Beginners' subforum). Although it may not be all-encompassing, a great many basic questions are either already answerable through a bit of reading, or have already been thoroughly discussed in some thread or other.

If you cannot find an answer already to a question you have, please feel free to post it. Honest questions are always welcome. However, it is also more productive for those answering not to have to re-answer questions that have already been answered (and newcomers especially, and understandably so, often have many of the same questions as their peers).

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Anniemal on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:09 am

Hi BlessByThee,

since we are talking domestic religion here as you already expected you cannot be 'spared' to do some research by yourself. Concerning your question I would recommend the 'Gods and Divinites' and FAQ section to get a more overall view of the religion itself.

As Erodius wrote start to read and ask questions in the Beginners section, though you might feel a little overwhelmed by all the new information. Do not fear, we are here to help each other!  Smile 

Greetings,
Anniemal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top