Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello to all

4 posters

Go down

Hello to all Empty Hello to all

Post  Philhellene91 Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Greetings from a Philhellene, who resides in California; as of recently my interest in Hellenism has grown to the point where I just can read about it but must dialogue with others about it. I hope that you will never find me annoying for asking many questions, I also hope that you can forgive me if at times I appear to be rather ignorant.

Philhellene91

Back to top Go down

Hello to all Empty Re: Hello to all

Post  Erodius Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:54 pm

Welcome.  Wink 

All honest questions are always welcome — but I would likewise recommend, as a generality, first taking a look through the various subfora and threads to see if one's query has been already addressed.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Philhellene91 wrote:Greetings Ethnic Hellenes from a Philhellene, who resides in California; As of recently my interest in Hellenism has grown to the point where I just can read about it but must dialogue with others about it. I hope that you will never find me annoying for asking many questions, I also hope that you can forgive me if at times I appear to be rather ignorant.

I'm actually not sure how many ethnic Hellenes there are on this board. Most of the Olympianists I've seen active on this board tend to be American or are from some other anglophonic country.

However, welcome to the board :)there is an academic of Classical religion floating around here, so you'll find answers to most of your questions regardless x3

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Icarus wrote:
Philhellene91 wrote:Greetings Ethnic Hellenes from a Philhellene, who resides in California; As of recently my interest in Hellenism has grown to the point where I just can read about it but must dialogue with others about it. I hope that you will never find me annoying for asking many questions, I also hope that you can forgive me if at times I appear to be rather ignorant.

I'm actually not sure how many ethnic Hellenes there are on this board. Most of the Olympianists I've seen active on this board tend to be American or are from some other anglophonic country.

However, welcome to the board :)there is an academic of Classical religion floating around here, so you'll find answers to most of your questions regardless x3

I corrected the issue. It's a forgivable mistake in English terminology that results from the awkward phrasing used by the ΥΣΕΕ, which, as a local Greek organization, is almost wholly ethnically Greek. They use the Greek term ῾ἐθνικοί Ἑλλήνες' as a self-designator, which, in Greek, just means, 'native' or 'indigenous Greeks' (as opposed to Christians, which they see as following a foreign custom and religion). However, on their English language pages, the words are almost inevitably translated as 'ethnic Hellenes', as if it were a specific term for a religion, leading to the confusion.

But no, as far as I am aware, there are few, if any, ethnic Greeks on this site. It's an English language site, of course, so the vast majority of site members are from some Anglophone country or other.

The preferred term on this site is, as Icarus said, 'Olympianism/Olympianist/Olympiac etc.', which refers solely to a religious system, and avoids any of the potential offensiveness, awkwardness and ambiguity of using a cultural term or an ethnonym.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Philhellene91 Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:28 am

Erodius wrote:
Icarus wrote:

I corrected the issue. It's a forgivable mistake in English terminology that results from the awkward phrasing used by the ΥΣΕΕ, which, as a local Greek organization, is almost wholly ethnically Greek. They use the Greek term ῾ἐθνικοί Ἑλλήνες' as a self-designator, which, in Greek, just means, 'native' or 'indigenous Greeks' (as opposed to Christians, which they see as following a foreign custom and religion). However, on their English language pages, the words are almost inevitably translated as 'ethnic Hellenes', as if it were a specific term for a religion, leading to the confusion.

But no, as far as I am aware, there are few, if any, ethnic Greeks on this site. It's an English language site, of course, so the vast majority of site members are from some Anglophone country or other.

The preferred term on this site is, as Icarus said, 'Olympianism/Olympianist/Olympiac etc.', which refers solely to a religious system, and avoids any of the potential offensiveness, awkwardness and ambiguity of using a cultural term or an ethnonym.

Thank you all, my apologies, I will refer to you all as you prefer. pirat 

Philhellene91

Back to top Go down

Post  J_Agathokles Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:09 am

Welcome! Very Happy

J_Agathokles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down