Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!
Olympianismos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Orphic Argonautica

3 posters

Go down

The Orphic Argonautica Empty The Orphic Argonautica

Post  Thrasyvoulos Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi all, I was recently looking up books I might want to buy, and I came across this English translation of the Orphic Argonautica:

The Orphic Argonautica
http://amzn.com/1105198944

Now, the last I had heard of this work, I was under the impression that it was only extant in French, Italian and Latin. So is this recent, and is it a reliable translation? If it's reliable, I very much want this translation.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

The Orphic Argonautica Empty Re: The Orphic Argonautica

Post  Erodius Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:21 am

The English translation (there's only one that I'm aware of) has been out for about a year or so.

The translation is good, I have read it, and possess it. However, it should be noted that it is a prose translation, not a verse, so if you are looking to reference line numbers or parallel them with the Greek text, it is very difficult without a knowledge of Greek to know what segment you're looking for.

I wouldn't recommend paying for it though. I have a Word document of the entire text I can send to you.

——————

Also, for those not familiar, the Orphic Argonautica is a different text from the more famous Argonautica by Apollonius of Rhodes. It is not another version, but a different poem entirely. It follows the same basic itinerary as Apollonius' Argonautica, but the focal characters are different, many details are different, and the Orphic Argonautica gives more focus to the religious content, whereas Apollonius' is more of an adventure tale.

The Orphic is also shorter — although Apollonius' is not very long either. The Argonautica is much shorter than the Iliad or Odyssey, or even the incomplete Aeneid.
Erodius
Erodius

http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 am

Erodius wrote:I wouldn't recommend paying for it though. I have a Word document of the entire text I can send you.

Thank you, that would actually be much appreciated!

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikoletta Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Could you please send this word document to me as well I would really appreciate it.

Nikoletta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down