Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Introducing myself

Go down

Introducing myself

Post  Theoraster on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Greetings all,

Sorry for the delay in my introduction.
I was already a member 2 years ago, when it was still called Hellenismos, under the username Darklight. I was unable to keep up with studies, so I left the community (I tried to log in with my former name but it´s no longer active). Let´s hope I can keep up with it this time (greek philosophy/theology has lots of reading and digestion to do, and it ain´t easy).

For those who don´t know me or remember me, I´m portuguese (male), 39 y.o., started the degree of Philosophy but had to suspend for now due to financial limitations. My personal position is mostly the contemplative part, not the ritualistic one.

Merry Christmas by the way. I know it´s a christian holiday but I´m sure some parallel can be found in greek thought. I has to (physically) do with the winter solstice, which is common to all nations, and spiritually with the death and rise of the soul in matter.

Theoraster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Introducing myself

Post  Erodius on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Welcome back — yes, the old forum is long since defunct now. This is a totally new one, under new management, and not directly affiliated with the old one. The death of the old site is a long and tedious story and I really don't feel like stirring up any of the rocky emotions of people here about that whole fiasco.

Merry Christmas by the way. I know it´s a christian holiday but I´m sure some parallel can be found in greek thought. I has to (physically) do with the winter solstice, which is common to all nations, and spiritually with the death and rise of the soul in matter.

There are several religious observances that coincide with mid-late December. The Roman Saturnalia, several different Brumaliae/Baccheiae of different Roman and Greek locales, as well as the Persian Yalda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yald%C4%81): birthday of the Sun, which is still a popular holiday in Iran (one of the few persisting pre-Islamic public holidays in Iran), and which, through the spread of Persian-influenced Mithraism and Chaldaeanistic streams of Orphism, became a widely popular holiday around the Mediterranean world.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Introducing myself

Post  J_Agathokles on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:58 am