Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Offerings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Offerings

Post  Daedalus on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 pm

I was wondering, how would I go about making a proper altar and offering to the gods.
Daedalus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offerings

Post  Erodius on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Rather than reiterate, I would direct you to the Beginners subforum.

There are a few threads there on the topic that may be of assistance to you:

http://olympianismos.forumotion.com/t230-basics-of-shrine-worship

http://olympianismos.forumotion.com/t39-on-domestic-piety

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Daedalus on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Thank you. have a Cyclops.cyclops 

Daedalus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daedalus on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:27 pm

It doesn't specify how to make the actual offerings.

Daedalus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:56 pm

Daedalus wrote:It doesn't specify how to make the actual offerings.
The short essay under the second link should.

If you're still unclear, could you specify on what exactly you're unclear?

By which I mean, do you want to know what to offer? What to do with it? What to do when offering something?

To summarize drastically, anything that is offered to a deity is either a. burned, b. buried, c. broken, or d. eaten/drunk. In other words, it is irrevocably given up in some way. Anything offered to a deity is a one-time thing; things aren't 're-offered' so to speak.

What it is that you do with something, obviously, largely depends on what it is. Incense is burned, as are most offerings in formal acts of worship. Things that cannot be burned or eaten (things like clay/metal tokens or votive statuettes) would customarily be buried, or broken, and then buried (the pits near temples where such offerings were buried in large numbers after they'd accumulated in the temple are veritable gold mines of artifacts for archaeologists and historians). Food items are offered in a few different ways. In very formal worship, a participant would bring his/her own item to offer, a part of it would be burned in the altar fire, and the rest would then be served to the worshippers after the end of the sacrifice in something called an epulum, which would be essentially a communal potluck. Otherwise, privately, food items would either be burned on a smaller scale altar, or would be left at the shrine for a while, and then taken down, profaned*, and then consumed.

*profaning an offering, in this sense, refers to marking it again (usually simply by touching it) after it has already been offered to the deity, to be returned to mortal possession, and so to allow it to be eaten. However, although it has become mortal property again, it still has an inherent holiness and blessing from having been shared with God, and is thus a very special sort of food.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Daedalus on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 am

You helped me out quite a bit and I thank you for that. But you got me wondering. What would be considered as an acceptable offering?

Daedalus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top