Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Hello all!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello all!

Post  Nescio on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi,

As my username suggests, I don't know much about Olympianism (from what I can gather this is the name assigned to this religion?) but I do know that I am at least passionate about Hellenic culture. I was hoping I could get to know the Gods better through this forum. Any suggestions on how I can learn more? Any specific texts I should be reading? What should I read and what shouldn't I? I am overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge some of you especially seem to have. Simply amazed: never thought there was so much to this religion (the name of which I'm still not certain of Embarassed )

I'm afraid I can't read Ancient Greek texts in their original language (I don't know classical Greek but look forward to learning it) but I am studying Latin so... but if you could suggest any good and proper translations for Greek texts, it would be much appreciated.

I'm familiar with a good number of Greek Myths though I'm not sure if they apply and stuff...

Have so many question, I don't know where to start.

But basically, thanks for existing and I look forward to getting to know you all. Very Happy

Nescio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello all!

Post  Erodius on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:43 pm

'Olympianism' is just a term historically used to refer to the Olympiac religions of the Classical Graeco-Roman world. It would encompass any of the various religions of Greece and the Hellenized world, i.e. Rome, Anatolia, Etruria, Magna Graecia et al. Many of the forms of Olympian religion, in particular certain Mystery cults, could certainly be rightfully considered religions in their own right.

It should also be noted, consequently, that 'Olympianism' (just like 'Hinduism') is sort of an unnatural construct, with which probably no worshipper would have identified. Hindus generally identify with their particular sect, and the same would go for Classical religion. For those people who do not belong to any particular sect, it usually follows that they are not especially religious. They go through the customary motions of general religious practice, but do not go much into the actual depths of the religion.

In terms of beginning to learn, there are a variety of excellent resources available for free reading and download in the Beginners subforum; plenty to keep anyone starting out busy for a while without having to purchase anything.

In terms of a good text for a beginning student, by far the best I can recommend is Trzaskoma's Anthology of Classical Myth. It includes nearly all of the primary texts in a recent, readable and consistent translation (all by the same translator), most of the core ones in their entirety (and others in their most important sections), and in a single book, rather than having to purchase all of the texts separately. It is available from Barnes and Noble or Amazon in either physical paperback, or in e-book form.

And of course, browse around the threads on the forum! cheers , they should be helpful in and of themselves.

And, welcome.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  J_Agathokles on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:15 am

Welcome!

J_Agathokles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tayarlin on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:40 am

Hello & welcome! Very Happy

tayarlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nescio on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Thank you all!

Erodius, I'll give that list you mentioned and that book a read. Maybe I'll find a particular tradition I can identify with (fingers crossed).

Nescio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum