Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Creation in the Vedas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Creation in the Vedas

Post  Erodius on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 pm

A heart-wrenchingly beautiful sung and narrated video of the creation verses from the Vedas — the 4,000 year old sacred hymns of pre-Puranic Hinduism, another branch of ancient Indo-European religion, and nearly identical in theology and cosmology to classical Olympianism, and even more so to the Orphic tradition, whose genesis story follows the Vedic version almost to a T.

Watch, and reflect.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Creation in the Vedas

Post  Out of Phlegethon on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:09 pm

Indian philosophy, in particular the metaphysics of the Upanishads, is very close to my heart, as it is almost exactly the same as that of Parmenides. The identification of Atman and Brahman to me seems very much the same as Eleatic monism (many have noted this); there is nothing except Being. Or as Heraclitus says: "All is one." The veil of Maya recalls Heraclitus when he says we are all sleepwalkers, or Empedocles when he speaks of the illusory nature of reality.

Out of Phlegethon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top