Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

Trouble With Panathenaea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trouble With Panathenaea

Post  SpiritofApollo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Okay, this has been making me wonder for the past three years. How come the Panathenaea ends at the beginning of the next Athenian Month? Why doesn't it end at the end of the month that it started at? Could someone please answer this for me, it's been driving me nuts.
SpiritofApollo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trouble With Panathenaea

Post  Erodius on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Hmm — I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The Panathenaea festival was typically seven days long (remember the significance of '7' in my other post?), and ran from the 23rd through the end of the Attic month of Ekatombaiōn, which was either 29 or 30 days long depending on the year. 

This certainly may make it cross over month divisions in the Gregorian calendar, but the people of Attica did not use the Gregorian calendar in the Classical period. Wink

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiritofApollo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Erodius wrote:Hmm — I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The Panathenaea festival was typically seven days long (remember the significance of '7' in my other post?), and ran from the 23rd through the end of the Attic month of Ekatombaiōn, which was either 29 or 30 days long depending on the year. 

This certainly may make it cross over month divisions in the Gregorian calendar, but the people of Attica did not use the Gregorian calendar in the Classical period. Wink

I was basing it on the Attica calender, not the Gregorian one. At the end of the next month's calendar, it crosses over into the next one, ending during the New Moon Festival.
SpiritofApollo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 am

it crosses over into the next one, ending during the New Moon Festival.

No, it doesn't. The Panathenaea would run from sunset on July 31st until sunset on August 7th. The subsequent month, Metageitniōn, begins at the Neomenia, which would be sunset on the 7th of August. The Panathenaic festival would end precisely when the Neomenia begins.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content