Olympianismos
Welcome to Olympianismos!

What do we call ourselves?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do we call ourselves?

Post  Theodoros on Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Whenever someone finds out about my religion they always ask what the practicer of this religion is called. I just tell them that its dodecatheist in Greek and that I don't know in English.So im wondering what is the name that most people use?
Theodoros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do we call ourselves?

Post  spokane89 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm

I usually use "Hellenismos" which I then usually have to explain as "the original Greek Religion."
spokane89

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Mon May 13, 2013 11:58 pm

I don't use the word 'Hellenismos', because that refers to much more than just religion.

The best English word for the religion I think is 'Olympianism', or 'Dodecatheism', which is a more recent word coinage.

Olympianism is a major part of Hellenism, but the two words are not, I think, quite synonymous.

Just as 'Sanatana-Dharma' is a major part of Hinduism, but 'Hinduism' entails much more than just religion.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"
-Iulianic Hymn to Apollon-Helios, ll. 65-106

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."
-Iamblichus, Vita Pythagorica

"Truth would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All hear, none aid you, and few understand."
-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Blog: eusebeis.wordpress.com
The Orphic Way: www.hellenicgods.org
Erodius

View user profile http://eusebeis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megara on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm confused, only because I read somewhere that "hellenismos" refers to a "way of life" whereas "hellenic" is the actual religion. I don't remember where I read that but it really confused me because I'd been under the impression that one could refer to themselves as a "follower of hellenismos" or as being "hellenistic" or "hellenic"... =S
Megara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Megara wrote:I'm confused, only because I read somewhere that "hellenismos" refers to a "way of life" whereas "hellenic" is the actual religion. I don't remember where I read that but it really confused me because I'd been under the impression that one could refer to themselves as a "follower of hellenismos" or as being "hellenistic" or "hellenic"... =S

'Hellenismos' means 'Greekness' or 'Greek culture', of which historical Olympian religion was a significant element. 'Hellenic' is synonymous with 'Greek'. A name for the current country of Greece is the 'Hellenic Republic.' 'Hellenic' can also refer to Greek-letter college and university fraternities and sororities. The use of the term in contemporary circles comes from a misunderstanding of the term and context as used by the later Roman Emperor Iulianus.   

'Hellenistic' means 'Greek-like'. It refers to a historical period of the expansion of Greek-influenced culture following the campaigns of Alexander of Macedon. 

'Hellenic polytheist' is an awkward term that is extremely ambiguous. 'Hellenic' means Greek, and a polytheist is a person who believes in multiple gods. So a 'Hellenic polytheist' is, grammatically, a Greek person who believes in multiple Gods. If the hypothetical 'Giannis Kyriakos' of Athens converted to Hinduism, he would be a Hellenic polytheist. I also see this term used often for individuals who are interested in worshipping one or more of the Twelve Gods, but have little concern or interest in the historical religions in which these Gods are worshipped, and choose instead to eclectically assemble their own personal religion as they deem fit. 

The best word for the religious systems of the Classical Graeco-Roman world is 'Olympianism' — per the Merriam-Webster English dictionary "the worship of the Olympian Gods, especially as a dominant cult or religion." A follower of such would be an 'Olympianist'. A more recent coinage for the same thing is 'Dodecatheism', a follower of which would be a 'Dodecatheist'.

"O Best of Gods, blest daimon crown'd with fire . . . hear, and from punishment my soul absolve, the punishment incurr'd by pristine guilt, thro' Lethe's darkness and terrene desire: and if for long-extended years I'm doom'd in these drear realms Heav'n's exile to remain, O grant me soon the necessary means to gain that good which solitude confers on souls emerging from the bitter waves of fraudful Hyle's black, impetuous flood!"

"Having come for punishment, one must be punished. One must not pull apart the god within oneself."

-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Erodius

Back to top Go down

Mixed information still

Post  Megara on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 am

I'm confused by this then.... =/

"Hellenismos (Religious Hellenism) is the Olympian based Greek Religion and philosophy from classical antiquity to modern times. 'Hellenismos' as a term was first used in the fourth century by Roman Emperor Julian the Philosopher to mean Greek Religion, and today it is used to mean its continuation................... Hellenismos includes the mythology, philosophy and religion of the Greek Gods, such as Dodecatheism, the Eleusinians, [etc.]"
Wouldn't that mean that Dodecatheism is a, sort of, subdivision of Hellenismos? Dodecatheism would refer to the belief/worship in the twelve Olympic gods. 
Megara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:09 am

Hellenismos' as a term was first used in the fourth century by Roman Emperor Julian the Philosopher to mean Greek Religion, and today it is used to mean its continuation................... 

Yes, the Emperor Iulianus used the term 'Ελληνισμός' in his works, but he uses it, as I mentioned in another post, in contrast to Christians, who, at that time (and until relatively recently, historically speaking) were considered to have 'renounced' Greek-ness. Those who remained 'Greek' were living 'Greekness' or 'Ελληνισμός/Ellinismos'. 

However, using the term today to refer to Olympian religion specifically is really not accurate, and a non-Greek individual claiming to follow 'Ellinismos' can be taken as a serious insult and offense to a Greek person, because the word means much, much more than just a religious system. 

Wouldn't that mean that Dodecatheism is a, sort of, subdivision of Hellenismos? Dodecatheism would refer to the belief/worship in the twelve Olympic gods. 

No, not quite. Dodecatheism is synonymous with Olympianism — it means the religion based on the Twelve Olympic Gods and all other associate powers, not only the Twelve — that is a misunderstanding; just as Christianity is not a religion solely of Christ — the word simply references the religion's central focus. Dodecatheism/Olympianism entails the fullness of classical Greek and Hellenistic religion, all of which had as its focus some form or reckoning of the Twelve. 'Ellinismos' and 'Olympianism' are different kinds of thing entirely — as I mentioned, like 'Sanatana Dharma' and 'Hinduism', or 'Anglicanism' and 'English-ness'. 

'Religious Hellenism' is actually a much more accurate term than 'Ellinismos'; 'Ellinismos' just means 'Hellenism', and 'Hellenism' does not necessarily involve Olympianism, nor even any religion at all. A Greek person raised with and living Greek culture is living 'Hellenism/Ellinismos', regardless of what religion, if any, he/she confesses.

-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Erodius

Back to top Go down

Post  Vadzhij on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:21 am

Julian was as devoted to Hellenism as were the Cappadocean Fathers, Basil, Gregory of Nazianzus and Gregory of Nyssa, they only differed in their interpretation or adaptation of Hellenism. They used the same or similar vocabulary regarding physics and metaphysics and were equally familiar with Plato, Aristotle, Chrysippus, Diogenes, Theophrastus, Homer, Hesiod and Pindar.

Vadzhij

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcCann on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:00 pm

In the Middle Ages, the Greeks called themselves "Romans", and "Hellene" meant pagan. I'm a Hellenist: Greek Christians aren't.

DavidMcCann
Sinior Member
Sinior Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vadzhij on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Up until Late-Antiquity the term Hellenism denoted your cultural and intellectual upbringing. There is a misconception that Hellenism denoted your religious affiliations which was simply not true. Plotinus, Porphyry, Celsus, Origen, Eusebius, Arius, Anasthasius, Julian and Gregory of Nazianzus were all examples of Greek "paideia", even if they differed in their religious views. Only later did the term take a whole new meaning as indicating someone's "religious" as opposed to "cultural" identity.

Vadzhij

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Valencia2014 on Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 am

Vadzhij wrote:Up until Late-Antiquity the term Hellenism denoted your cultural and intellectual upbringing. There is a misconception that Hellenism denoted your religious affiliations which was simply not true. Plotinus, Porphyry, Celsus, Origen, Eusebius, Arius, Anasthasius, Julian and Gregory of Nazianzus were all examples of Greek "paideia", even if they differed in their religious views. Only later did the term take a whole new meaning as indicating someone's "religious" as opposed to "cultural" identity.

So it was the Emperor Julian that started this division?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  De Li on Sat May 09, 2015 7:10 am

Erodius wrote:

[...]

However, using the term today to refer to Olympian religion specifically is really not accurate, and a non-Greek individual claiming to follow 'Ellinismos' can be taken as a serious insult and offense to a Greek person, because the word means much, much more than just a religious system. 

[...]

That is exactly why I do not call myself 'Hindu' [any longer], and have always felt uncomfortable doing so; even though I follow the universal Eternal Way (Sanatana Dharma), and am a Shaiva Siddhantist, (and Shakta), in all but cultural Hindu identification and specific Hindu/Indian cultural religious observance/practice.

Personally, I prefer the term 'Olympianism', when referring to the general [Classical] Graeco-Roman religion / worship of the Olympians and all associate powers, over 'Dodekatheism'.

When referring to my actual religion, I use 'Neoplatonism', 'Orphism', or 'Orphic-Neoplatonism'.
De Li

View user profile http://hearthofheid.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:48 am

Valencia2014 wrote:So it was the Emperor Julian that started this division?

Yes, to an extent, Valencia. He did not, however, coin the term, and he rarely spoke about it.

Αγαμέμνων

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Theodoros on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:06 am

I decided to become more active on the forum, and I stumbled upon this thread. The ignorance of the past is intriguing and frightening at the same time. As some of the above posters have already said Hellenismos or Hellenist or any similar term isn't suitable as those terms can easily get confused with terms for Hellenic culture. Dodecatheism or the even better Olympianism are much better.

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie."
-Miyamoto Musashi

"No one is free who has not obtained the empire of himself."
-Pythagoras

The Orphic Way:
www.hellenicgods.org
Theodoros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Human on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:47 pm

It is very confusing and Olympianism is probably the best word to describe it but it's also a bit of an awkward word.

Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Human wrote:It is very confusing and Olympianism is probably the best word to describe it but it's also a bit of an awkward word.

What the tradition is termed is typically dependent upon wherever it is you are and the context of the situation — it is called simply Ελληνική εθνική θρησκεία in Greece and Europe, whereas in the Anglo-sphere people prefer to call it Hellenism, the word being transliterated from the Greek Ἑλληνισμός. Customarily, you are called by the national endonym Hellene, but a peculiar trend among philhellene practitioners is to state otherwise unwittingly. I have come to the realization that people will continue to aver that the term Hellenist is a suitable designation for the practitioner, and that attempting to correct them is inefficacious. Olympanism is a word employed in scholastic study, not in the everyday vernacular of those people who practice in Greece.

Αγαμέμνων

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Erodius on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:20 pm

Αγαμέμνων wrote:I have come to the realization that people will continue to aver that the term Hellenist is a suitable designation for the practitioner, and that attempting to correct them is inefficacious.

Suitable, certainly, and quite along the lines of 'Hinduism' as the '-ism' of the 'Hindus'. Nevertheless, there is the issue of standard usage. On one hand, most Americans, for instance, I can almost guarantee you would not have the foggiest idea what you were talking about if you used the world 'Hellenist'. Those who do use the word – scholars and academics and the like – use it, almost always, to mean Hellenized Jew. A 'Hellenist' to most who do use the word, is a type of Jew.

Olympanism is a word employed in scholastic study, not in the everyday vernacular of those people who practice in Greece.[/quote]

That is true, of course. However, the semantics of Greek language usage, unfortunately, do not extend to English, (notorious for butchering other languages) – however much I myself might wish they did.

The issue is, there is no word at all in 'common' usage to refer to Classical religion among English speakers. Why? Because the subject is simply not discussed, and, to most people, probably is not something they even believe exists, neither today, nor in Antiquity, for many people are taught that the Greeks and Romans had no religion, because "they were too smart to believe in such foolish myths", and therefore they were all just agnostics until Jesus came, upon which everyone immediately realized that Christianity was the truth they had been waiting for and just about everyone willingly converted right away!

I can vouch for this being what is taught in at least some American schools, because I worked for one, and this was how we were told to teach that period of history.

'Olympianism' is not a commonly used word, and is not used in Greece (though, to be fair, neither is 'Hinduism' used in India). However, although the word is certainly not a common English word, the roots in it 'Olympian+ism' are quite likely to be understood by most anglophones without needing elaborate explanation. Certainly, plenty of people still would not understand, but of all the available terms in English, I agree that it is the one with the least English semantic ambiguity, and the most likely to have its meaning understood by anglophones.

-Alexander Pope

ΗΣΦ

Erodius

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Erodius wrote:Suitable, certainly, and quite along the lines of 'Hinduism' as the '-ism' of the 'Hindus'. Nevertheless, there is the issue of standard usage. On one hand, most Americans, for instance, I can almost guarantee you would not have the foggiest idea what you were talking about if you used the world 'Hellenist'.

Then we ought to challenge that use and make people contingent of the appropriate moniker, Eρωδιός. It is quite strange that we should allow the ill-informed lay person to set precedent. We must teach that we are Hellenes.

Because the subject is simply not discussed, and, to most people, probably is not something they even believe exists, neither today, nor in Antiquity, for many people are taught that the Greeks and Romans had no religion, because "they were too smart to believe in such foolish myths", and therefore they were all just agnostics until Jesus came, upon which everyone immediately realized that Christianity was the truth they had been waiting for and just about everyone willingly converted right away!

Surely, you must be mistaken: How could such an academic travesty be tolerated?

Αγαμέμνων

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrasyvoulos on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:21 am

[quote="Αγαμέμνων"]
Erodius wrote:
Because the subject is simply not discussed, and, to most people, probably is not something they even believe exists, neither today, nor in Antiquity, for many people are taught that the Greeks and Romans had no religion, because "they were too smart to believe in such foolish myths", and therefore they were all just agnostics until Jesus came, upon which everyone immediately realized that Christianity was the truth they had been waiting for and just about everyone willingly converted right away!

It's not an instance of being mistaken, it's just that the American educational system, even the secular public school system, is very much still steeped in a type of Christian-centrism, and it's something too deeply ingrained in the popular culture to be removed in one single generation. This over-emphasis on Christianity is, thankfully, on the decline, but it's a slow process, something which requires a long-range view and the understanding that things aren't going to miraculously shift overnight.

Thrasyvoulos
God Member
God Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Human on Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Αγαμέμνων wrote:
Erodius wrote:Suitable, certainly, and quite along the lines of 'Hinduism' as the '-ism' of the 'Hindus'. Nevertheless, there is the issue of standard usage. On one hand, most Americans, for instance, I can almost guarantee you would not have the foggiest idea what you were talking about if you used the world 'Hellenist'.

Then we ought to challenge that use and make people contingent of the appropriate moniker, Eρωδιός. It is quite strange that we should allow the ill-informed lay person to set precedent. We must teach that we are Hellenes.

It wasn't really talked about at my schools aside from mythology but the general consensus was that the Greeks and Romans were monotheist and that the Gods were the ancients explanations to changes in nature they couldn't explain or personifications of earthly forces. Regardless it was always very watered down or skimmed over as being unimportant. I kind of have to agree with you on the topic of establishing and educating them but at the same time Hellenist just might not be the most appropriate word. We may need to collectively get together as a community and form a more official term once the religion has had more time to grow in a more genuine carnation rather than the popular Wicca/neo-pagan Hellenist movement. Till then I just explain that I believe in the ancient Greek Gods and that usually is a simple and sufficient explanation.

Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Human wrote:It wasn't really talked about at my schools aside from mythology but the general consensus was that the Greeks and Romans were monotheist and that the Gods were the ancients explanations to changes in nature they couldn't explain or personifications of earthly forces.

I cannot begin to describe my disappointment with American curriculum. I sincerely apologize that you were robbed of a decent education, Human. You have been lead astray intellectually; I shall do my utmost to mend that.

We may need to collectively get together as a community and form a more official term once the religion has had more time to grow in a more genuine carnation rather than the popular Wicca/neo-pagan Hellenist movement.

My boy, our religion is an insoluble piece of our heritage. We are not simply people who practice Hellenic religion: we are a nation of ten million people who descend from Έλλην. We have a name — Hellene. I am trying to get people to comprehend and accept that fact. We are not a mere movement but the resurgence of ancient identity.

Αγαμέμνων

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Human on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:39 pm

That's true, but how would you go about differentiating Greeks who are still Christians and reject their heritage to the ones who follow the Gods? What about foreigners trying to honor the Gods? The American education system has a ton of problems one of which is that they don't care to actually teach anything provided that you have certain facts memorized for a standardized state test. Other than that they could care less about any given students intellect, potential, or creativity or actual understanding of a subject. Schools do differ a lot depending on the area, whether they are private or public, the wealth of it's students and so on but for the most part any public school in America is just going to try to push kids to remember answers for state test and center a curriculum addressing the test. I would like to fight it but there isn't much people can do without a politician backing because I'm sure an insane amount of parents and students would support a reform and have been unhappy with the education system for over a decade.

Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Human wrote:That's true, but how would you go about differentiating Greeks who are still Christians and reject their heritage to the ones who follow the Gods? What about foreigners trying to honor the Gods?

The people who follow the religion are called Εθνική Έλληνες, and are so unless they come from a different tradition, e.g. Kemetism, Odin-ism, etc. Those who follow the Orthodox Church are simply Christians, but we recognize their inherent and eternal connection with our pantheon and therefore must attempt to reclaim their allegiance. Our relationship to the dodecatheon ought to be likened to that Jews and Yahweh, because we are a nation, religion and culture onto ourselves. People of natural Greek descent are unique in that no covenant had been required for the recognition and blessing of Deity, but people who convert are enforcing a covenant. Put simply, if you are ethnically Greek you can never remove Them from your presence even if you reject them outright, they only ever honestly await your re-conversion, but if you are a foreigner who has accepted them, then you become ethnically Greek through an eternal bond vs-a-vie a covenant or spiritual pact.

The American education system has a ton of problems one of which is that they don't care to actually teach anything provided that you have certain facts memorized for a standardized state test. Other than that they could care less about any given students intellect, potential, or creativity or actual understanding of a subject.

I know the education system will not change within our lifetime but you can always apply for an admission to an accredited college department of Hellenic Studies/Classics?

Αγαμέμνων

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Human on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:01 pm

I've actually done a lot of extensive research on my own. I wouldn't mind a formal education on the subject but part of the problem aside from the price is that professors can influence what they teach greatly and give a biased education. As a scholar they may be knowledgeable about the subjects facts but a lot of American scholars seem to push their own theories and views into education but if I ever had the chance to take a class like that I would but then it would cost me about a thousand dollars for just that class alone. I understand what you are saying; wouldn't the English equivalent just be Ethnic Hellenist?

Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Αγαμέμνων on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:15 am

Human wrote: I understand what you are saying; wouldn't the English equivalent just be Ethnic Hellenist?

No, the rough translation would be '[Gentile] Hellene.' I can see you're close to understanding, but not quite. Drop the suffix -ist, Human, and forget about Hellenist or Hellenism. That word is pernicious to our image. You are a Greek. You have made that covenant, remember? You are no longer a Dutchman or German: you are Greek now. You have a new people, a new culture, a new language, a new history, etc. You now represent Greece.

You must teach your children their heritage, help your neighbors to comprehend your transition, etc. Everyone here is a Greek indistinguishable from the general population. You are ethnically Greek!

Αγαμέμνων

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top